Naval Architect – Intermediate / Senior: Harvey 2566
We are currently looking for an Intermediate to Senior Level Naval Architect for Victoria, BC and an Intermediate Level Naval Architect for Burnaby BC.
Our company is a partnership of Marine Professionals providing services in Engineering, Project Support, and Consulting to the Canadian marine industry.
As our Naval Architect, you will bring your high degree of technical knowledge and innovative engineering experience to our Victoria office to provide turnkey solutions for various clients.
You will be primarily responsible for all aspects of engineering design for new design and vessel refits from concept through to implementation.
Projects vary in complexity and size, from small equipment installations to whole vessel detail design.
- Work directly with stakeholders and project managers in the planning and execution of technical activities on a variety of complex projects related to vessel (ship) and technical product development.
- Oversee intermediate and junior level staff in all aspects of Naval Architecture.
- Oversee projects as a project manager on a variety of projects, new vessel design to refits.
- Prepare project plans and work specifications for each individual vessel.
- Perform design, documentation, analysis, and modeling tasks using appropriate software packages.
- Review design documents to achieve customer, Classification Society, and regulatory approval.
- Oversees various stages of the construction process, as assigned. Solves problems and makes recommendations as appropriate.
- Ability to undertake onsite vessel surveys (condition surveys, lightship surveys, inclining experiments) including vertical ladder ascent and descent, accessing confined spaces and heights.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Naval Architecture.
- Registered or are eligible to register as Professional Engineer with the appropriate provincial engineering body.
- Intermediate: Minimum 6 years plus in a design office / shipyard.
- Project management skills experience in refit / new vessel projects an asset.
- Senior: Minimum 10+ years in a design office / shipyard with project management skills experience in refit/new vessel projects.
- Familiarity with BC marketplace for ship operators and/or ferry operators is an asset.
Skills, Knowledge, and Required Competencies:
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports.
- Working knowledge of GHS. Working knowledge of Ship Constructor, Rhino and ACAD software.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience with resistance and powering calculations, hull design, structural design, and regulations (Classification Society and Transport Canada).
- Familiar with all aspects of the vessel design including outfit, piping, and mechanical design.
- Ability to work unsupervised and lead a small team.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to comply with all safety laws and companies’ safety policies and procedures.
- Exercise sound judgment and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Availability and willingness to travel.
This is a full-time position.
Salary is open depending on experience.
Benefits package available after 3 months including,
- Extended dental and health benefits including MSP premium coverage.
- Funded educational and training opportunities.
- Employee mentorship program
- Open door leadership philosophy
- Open floor plan design / collaborative working space
- A flexible work environment