Building Energy Specialist: Harvey 2475
Our Company is currently seeking a self-motivated, hardworking Building Energy Specialist to join our Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton Office.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is interested in energy efficiency and sustainable building design.
The ideal candidate takes initiative, is interested in pursuing a career in engineering consulting, and is willing to take on responsibility as his/her experience progresses.
The incumbent will be a key member of our company Energy Modelling Services and Sustainability Team in Western Canada, reporting to the Sustainability Team Leader.
The successful candidate will be responsible for applying advanced tools and techniques to the evaluation of energy performance in commercial, residential and institutional buildings, and to train less experienced staff on these tools and techniques.
The Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop representative simulation models of HVAC, lighting, and building envelope systems to accurately estimate energy consumption and demand in commercial, residential and institutional buildings.
- Calculate energy consumption and demand savings associated with energy conservation measures for new and existing buildings, along with associated greenhouse gas savings.
- Provide design feedback to architects and other project stakeholders.
- Provide feedback to engineers on HVAC and lighting design and operation.
- Demonstrate compliance with energy codes and standards.
- Complete energy code compliance reports for building permit applications.
- Complete energy performance reports and documentation required to support green building certifications such as LEED® and the Zero Carbon Building Standard.
- Complete energy efficiency incentive applications on behalf of our clients.
- Conduct facility site visits and energy audits as required.
- Develop written documentation concerning building energy performance, recommended facility improvement measures, including accurate descriptions, savings potential, cost estimates and back up data to verify facility improvement measure.
- Evaluate, interpret, clarify and explain complex specifications, performance characteristics or other technical data.
- Train, coach and mentor other members of the team.
- Overtime as required.
Qualifications, Experience, and Education:
- Graduation as a Mechanical Engineer from an accredited university, or as a Mechanical Engineering, Alternative Energy or Architectural Technician or Technologist.
- Registered (or eligible for registration) as a P. Eng., E.I.T. or C.E.T. with a Canadian Professional Association or Certifying Body.
- Building Energy Modelling Professional certification (BEMP), or Certified Energy Manager (CEM) an asset.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience doing building energy assessments or simulations with a variety of modelling software programs including IES Virtual Environment.
- Experience working in a consulting environment or the Energy Management field is an asset.
- Experience working directly with clients.
- Experience working in a team based environment with a deadline oriented culture.
- The ability to effectively communicate technical analysis both verbally and in writing.
- A self-starter with the ability to produce and implement creative and innovative solutions.
- The ability to build long lasting relationships with clients and other key players.
- Good knowledge of reading drawings.
- Strong understanding of building envelope, mechanical, HVAC and electrical building systems, energy markets, alternative energy technology, energy project implementation, and the building construction process.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office suite with advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Working knowledge of IES-VE, EQUEST, Trace and/or HAP and the ability to troubleshoot software issues.
- Working knowledge of the National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings (NECB), ASHRAE 90.1 standards, and the BC Step Code.
- General knowledge of programming is an asset.
- Good foundation of HVAC design and experience in controls and commissioning would be an asset.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization, including executives.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Analytical Thinking – Analyzing and synthesizing complex situations and information to understand issues identify options and support sound decision-making.
- Attention to Detail – Working in a conscientious, consistent and thorough manner.
- Client Focus – Provides added value through service excellence to internal and/or external clients.
- Continuous Improvement and Learning - Identifying and addressing learning and development needs to enhance own performance.
- Initiative - Dealing with situations and issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities that arise.
- Interactive Communication - Listening to others and communicating articulately, fostering open communication.
- Product Knowledge - Understanding the products and services provided.
- Testing - Knowledge and ability to perform testing of software and/or hardware using a systematic approach.
- Problem Solving – Identifying problems and the solutions to them.
- Resilience – Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Results Management – Organizes time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effect and efficient way.
- Teamwork – Working collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goals.
This is a full time position
Salary is open depending on experience
Benefits package available after 3 months