We are looking for a VP Engineering to lead our engineering department and help us build great products. Firstly, we are looking for someone whose purpose aligns with ours (“Boldly Elevate People”) and shares our core values (“Growth Mindset”, “Respectful”, “Elevates Others”, “Authentic” and has “True Grit”).
Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the VP Product, this position will oversee all product related technology and technological resources. The VP Engineering will help establish company technology vision, strategies, and plans for growth.
People are our success and, to be successful in this role, you should be confident managing your teams including setting goals, budgeting, and establishing timelines for various projects. You will lead a team of developers and engineers, collaborating with product leaders, quality assurance professionals and sales team members, and be involved in improving company policies and standards.
We are looking for a person that can manage technical aspects of our product development internally and liaise with external partners to oversee product integrations. This includes overseeing all software/hardware development plans from ideation to execution. The VP Engineering will focus on maintaining and improving all technological issues in the company
The VP Engineering will be involved and responsible for multiple aspects of the business. These include but are not limited to:
- Personnel management – the VP Engineering will be the direct supervisor of the technical teams.
- Program management and engineering execution – the VP Engineering will be responsible for working alongside the VP Product, ensuring that the product vision is realized through excellence in execution.
- Technical leadership – the VP Engineering will be responsible for co-developing the technical strategy with the VP Product, CEO and CSO (Chief Science Officer) and for developing and maintaining a technical roadmap that will continue to innovate from a technical standpoint.
- Strategy development – the VP Engineering will serve as part of the leadership team, working in an interdisciplinary manner with their peers in other departments to develop company and product strategy.
- Resource/hire additional team members and oversee their training.
- Manage and mentor the technical teams (Systems Engineering, Product R&D)
- Build career development plans for individual team members.
- Ensure we have the appropriate resources for future growth plans.
- Collaborate with senior leadership and HR on developing a strong culture aligned to the Company’s core values.
- Identify technical gaps and develop a Technical Roadmap that integrates with the Product Roadmap.
- Challenge current plans to enhance the quality of our product.
- Build processes for data protection and quality assurance.
- Monitor Key Performance Indicators and metrics.
- Prepare and manage the engineering department budget.
- Respond to feedback from stakeholders and use it to make improvements or adjustments needed to our technology.
- Ensure regulatory standards are met and quality is never compromised.
- Follow medical device regulations in Canada and the US and champion those standards with the technical and leadership teams.
- Ensure all systems infrastructure necessary to support the product is in place and functioning efficiently.
- Ensure intellectual property is protected.
- Develop the technical aspects of our company's strategy in accordance with the product vision.
- Assist the Product Team in developing future product functionality, and the necessary data security under P.I.P.A. and H.I.P.P.A. requirements.
- Engage in solving day-to-day technical challenges alongside the technical teams as needed.
- Evaluate and provide guidance on the feasibility of adopting new technologies required to deliver the product roadmap.
- Ensure system infrastructure is functioning and working efficiently.
- Make decisions regarding the company's technological needs.
- Oversee any changes in system architecture.
- Push the limits of technology to solve the challenges that are 3-5 years away.
- Design strategies and execute on future development projects based on the company’s overall objectives and resources.
- Create a timeline for development and deployment of new technology implementation alongside the product roadmap.
- Communicate our technology strategy to our partners as well as investors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BSc/MSc in engineering, computer science or relevant field
- Seven to 10 years of medical device development experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience
- Strong organizational leadership skills
- Extensive experience in working with stakeholders to create hiring strategies to develop quality teams
- Experience in recruiting engineers, developers, and contributors
- Must be knowledgeable about industry trends, best practices, and change management
- Clear thinker with high level of attention to detail
- Growth mindset - willingness and ability to learn and take on additional responsibilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative team environment
- Well versed in design controls, medical device lifecycle, and regulatory concepts
- Experience working in a quality management system (ISO 13485) an asset
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems and electrical safety (IEC 60601 an asset
- Well-rounded understanding of software development, electronics, and mechanical design an asset
- Registered or willing to register as a P.Eng.
Biotechnology Engineering Science