A Little Bit About Us
As leaders in employee benefits plans and group insurance, the GroupHEALTH Family of Companies (GroupHEALTH) has more than 700 employees in offices in Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Prince George, Etobicoke, Woodbridge and Barrie.
With annual premiums in excess of $700 million and $5 billion in pension assets under management, GroupHEALTH insures more than 5,000 client organizations across Canada, in both the public and private sectors, supporting more than 450,000 Canadians and their families.
GroupHEALTH is a wholly owned subsidiary of Munich Re New Ventures, a division of Munich Re, one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, primary insurance and insurance-related risk solutions.What We Believe
We know that our success depends not just on great products and services, but perhaps even more so on the skills and attitudes of our people. We seek highly self-motivated team players who will appreciate a performance-driven work environment rooted in creativity, opportunities for personal development, integrity, and open communication.Position Overview
GroupHEALTH is transforming the way Canadians experience benefits. We need a Vice President to transform our Finance operations as well. Backed by the largest reinsurer in the world, and disrupting the Canadian group benefits sector, our business has grown in size and complexity (including through the pandemic), and our Finance operations have grown in size and complexity along with it.
Reporting into our CFO and as a key member of the senior leadership team, you'll lead a large team of professionals working across multiple divisions to ensure that this rapidly-scaling organization has best-in-class accounting, reporting, tax and treasury operations. Not only will you provide value-added Finance expertise to help us progress technically, your leadership will inspire a mission-critical team and reinforce our values. If you are a dynamic, collaborative and experienced finance professional looking to provide strategic leadership to help us scale, innovate and stabilize, we invite you to submit your application for this exciting role.
Direct reports include two Finance Managers, Manager of Data Analytics and Reporting and Supervisor of Trust Accounting.Key Responsibilities
- Support the development, implementation and achievement of Finance strategic goals and objectives, and ensure these are aligned with the overall business strategic plan and initiatives.
- Support cross functional/departmental initiatives and projects from planning, through to implementation as required.
- Lead the development and reporting of business and financial scorecards to monitor business performance, support effective decision-making and enhance the culture of accountability throughout the organization.
- Manage, review and resolve all complex accounting issues
- Plan and direct financial and operational budget and forecast processes for short-term and long-term decision-making
- Oversee the preparation of monthly internal financial reporting.
- Oversee preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements and MD&A under IFRS, ensuring quality, timeliness and accuracy for review by Senior Management and the Board of Directors
- Oversee financial statement and compliance audits, ensuring timely audit completion
- Ensure all regulatory and compliance requirements are met
- Continually seek opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes, procedures and systems that will enhance the quality of work and service provided by all Finance team members
- Assist the CFO in execution and maintenance of the following areas:
- ERP system implementation
- Finance Team talent review and development
- Business process improvements
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Ad hoc projects and analysis, as required
Please note that this is a full-time permanent opportunity and would require the successful candidate to report to our Main Office in Surrey, BC. For the selected candidate, relocation allowances can be accommodated.
- CPA (Canadian designation) requirement
- 10+ years of relevant experience in accounting and finance
- 5+ years’ experience overseeing finance operations.
- 5+ years’ experience in people management
- Public practice experience
- Collaborative team player
- Open and articulate communicator
- Superior organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Must thrive in a fast-paced, results driven, rapidly changing environment and effectively handle competing priorities
- ERP system implementation experience