Job Description Summary
The Vice President, Finance ("VP, Finance") is responsible for the financial management, guidance and compliance to support STEMCELL's successful company operations and deliver exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer ("CFO"), the VP, Finance supports ongoing profitable growth in a resource efficient fashion.
The VP, Finance is responsible for overseeing all finance-related activities, including: financial and management reporting, control, external and internal audit, internal analytics and reporting - both internal and external (ie. banks), business development & strategy support and to partner with the FP&A and Operations group on budgeting and reporting variances to budget.
The VP, Finance enables the production of timely and accurate financial statements and supporting analyses, as well as recommending and overseeing the production of KPI's to all levels of internal stakeholders including but not limited to department heads and regional businesses and for use in strategic decision making. The VP, Finance works closely with senior executives at both the corporate and regional level and is responsible for interpreting and translating the financials into meaningful information and metrics that in turn drive business decisions and growth.
The VP, Finance provides leadership and active management of the Company's finance team. S/he effectively recruits, develops, manages, motivates, and retains a world class finance staff.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership in the finance area and across the organization; and is a true financial and executive contributor.
- Develops and maintains a strong working relationship with the CFO and the executive team to lead a proactive approach to the financial function.
- Provides guidance and leadership to STEMCELL's finance organization with focus on continual performance improvement, positive change management, staff development and succession planning.
- Believes in collaborative communication, idea sharing and empowering others to make good decisions based on data driven analyses
- Maintains the highest levels of ethics and integrity.
- Interprets and translates the financials into meaningful information and metrics that in turn enable the senior executive team to drive business decisions and growth.
- Enhances and maintains financial management systems, infrastructure and controls that support business growth.
- Is responsible for ensuring the ERP is aligned with producing meaningful, timely and efficient input, maintenance and production of financial information in a controlled manner.
- Oversees the maintenance of the Company's capital structure and balance sheet, and supports the CEO and CFO, in ensuring the STEMCELL maintains access to the appropriate level of funding to support growth and changes in its business strategy.
- An emphasis on improving profitability and margin through spending efficiencies and maximizing value for dollar will be key.
- Provides strong oversight to accounting, internal analytics, cash management and external reporting.
- Continues to improve the timeliness of financial and management reporting and the quality of business and tax planning, budgeting and financial analysis in collaboration with colleagues;
- Working with the FPA group, facilitates the development of robust financial analytics and metrics that support both the regional businesses and larger strategic decisions.
- Responsible for liquidity management and Quality of Earnings and other financial audits related to the Company's banking relationships
- Oversees reporting and allocation analyses of business operations and opportunities; spearhead the interpretation of operating results and the planning and review of capital expenditures in relation to anticipated results.
- Continues development of a world-class finance organization that is a key business partner to the business operations in all areas (planning, RND, sales/business development, operations and customer service).
- Builds and leads a skilled global finance staff and assuring that the function remains fundamentally excellent by attracting and retaining top professional talent and building succession bench strength.
- Oversees key personnel to ensure corporate-wide compliance with all financial standards,regulatory requirements and government reporting, ensuring financials meet IFRS standards etc.
- Is involved in portfolio rationalization and investment strategies including M&A and joint ventures.
- A CPA/CA plus an undergraduate degree in the sciences, finance, accounting or related discipline. A postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline is considered a plus.
- Must be seen externally as a highly skilled financial leader with demonstrated track record of success, in a well-respected company that is known for strong financial operations and performance (experience in life sciences or technology manufacturing is preferred) .
- Accustomed to working in a fast paced, complex, growing, entrepreneurial, busy, transparent, high integrity, dynamic organization punctuated with open dialogue.
- Private company experience is a plus.
- Experienced leadership with companies having undergone various phases of dynamic change and profitable growth.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, striking a balance between competitiveness and humility;
- Has a demonstrated inspiring, engaging and collaborative leadership style.
- Holds a natural curiosity about science and an appreciation for the impact leading-edge of STEMCELL Technologies Inc. research and commercialization can have on society.
- The ability to make financial management a key business differentiator.
- A creative approach to capital and credit management and a keen focus on the long term stability of the company.
- A track record of using financial and operational analysis to help operations and the broader organization improve business performance and profitability.
- Excellent communication skills earned through a broad based business background; and an affinity for working effectively across functions, business units and geographies.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Banking, Finance and Insurance