About the Opportunity
Our growing Surrey office is looking to add a capable and hardworking Engineer-in-Training (EIT) to our Transportation practice. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging projects that make a visible difference in many communities. In addition to the learning and project experience, you can:
- Build your transportation engineering skills and develop an understanding of best practices in a practical, real-world setting
- Apply theory and provide solutions to engineering problems on small and large scale multi-disciplinary transportation projects
- Develop key technical skills related to transportation design, such as geometric and grading design, and civil infrastructure modeling
- Prepare cost estimates and contract documents
- Conduct inspections and act as the client’s representative on-site during construction to gather information and ensure that designs are built to specifications
- Contribute to technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and presentations
- Proactively and professionally communicate with co-workers and clients, gradually building an expansive network of internal and external contacts
- Explore creative and sustainable solutions with our clients to build vibrant communities
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals.
Our preferred candidate will have an interest in transportation and be a recent graduate of a civil engineering degree program with up to 2 years of experience. Existing transportation engineering knowledge is an asset but not required. In addition, the following attributes would be considered of great benefit to this role:
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career in transportation engineering and working with road authorities, local municipalities, and Indigenous communities in British Columbia
- You have experience working with industry standard design software such as AutoCAD and Civil3D to carry out design, drafting, and modelling work
- You are able to work on multiple projects concurrently and thrive in a self-directed work environment
- You take initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high-quality work
- You are suited to consulting, given your instincts for:
- Having the ability to listen to others to develop and cultivate positive interpersonal relationships with people from varying backgrounds, including colleagues and clients
- Generating practical solutions to problems in a collaborative work environment
- Working hard to deliver value to our clients and the communities in which we work
- You hold a valid Class 5 driver’s license
At Urban Systems, vibrant communities are everything—including our own work community. Since 1975, we have grown to more than 600 people with 15 offices across Canada. Every day, our purpose-driven team works closely with our clients and their communities to deliver impactful work. We are proud to work with diverse clients including Indigenous communities, all levels of government, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector.
Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary community consulting firm with deep Canadian roots. We are united in our mission to transform communities everywhere into vibrant places where people want to live today, tomorrow, and forever.
Our Commitment to You
Are you looking for opportunities to lead challenging initiatives in your community? Join a diverse and supportive group of professionals at Urban Systems and take part in impactful work building vibrant communities across Canada. Here’s what you can expect as a team member at Urban Systems:
- Competitive Compensation. Your skills and contributions are valued. You’ll receive competitive compensation, extended health, dental, vision care coverage, and more!
- Paid Time Off. We encourage all team members to take time off to recharge and spend time with loved ones. Enjoy 3 weeks of paid vacation to start, in addition to statutory days off throughout the year.
- Mobility Choices. We walk the talk in building sustainable communities and work to support travel by all models. At Urban Systems, we pay for 100% of your monthly transit fare.
- Learn and grow. Your professional growth & development is supported here. You are encouraged to take initiative and shape your career through coaching, in-house learning, technical courses, and more.
- Work with Inter-Disciplinary Teams. Amazing things happen when you mix creativity, curiosity, teamwork, and a strong desire to collaborate and innovate. You will be part of diverse, inter-disciplinary teams to deliver important work for our clients and their communities.
- Flexible Hours & Work Environment. You have a life outside of work. We offer flexibility in your work schedule and work environment to help you do your best work and meet your commitments.
- Saving for the Future. To help you achieve your long-term retirement goals, we offer a Long-Term Matching Program that matches your contributions to an RRSP or TFSA.
- Support through Transitions. You will be supported through life’s moments and transitions, big or small, including generous top-up for parental leave.
- Create Lasting Community Impact. 98% of Urban Systems employees believe that the work we do is important. Join a team of like-minded leaders and work together to bring impactful community projects to life!
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills, and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, February 15th, 2023, 9:00 am PST