As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city-and their careers-forward. Build a City. Build a Future
at the City of Surrey.
Union - CUPE Local 402 - Regular Full-Time
Are you looking for a job opportunity that has tremendous opportunity for growth and will make a direct impact in the community? The Engineering Department is looking for Water Distribution Operator 1's to join their team! Reporting to the Water Operations Manager, the Water Distribution Operator 1 (Trades Improver 1 EOCP) positions involve manual and skilled tasks involving considerable physical effort in performing a variety of civil and utility construction and operations and maintenance related to water systems.
- Installs water mains, services and connections.
- Assembles pipes together ensuring that tees, bends, crosses, valves and services or related fittings are properly installed.
- Installs water services using open trench, trench-less methods or a combination of both.
- Operates (open/close/flush/repair) water valves on water mains and on water services and appurtenances.
- Maintains records, log books and activity sheets, as required.
- Works with map books and construction drawings.
- Inspects and maintains fire hydrants.
- Evaluates water quality.
- Cleans and secures work area by shoveling and sweeping.
- Deals with various chemicals relating to water systems.
- Assists crew members in performing their duties.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Water Distribution 1 course.
- Experience and training in Engineering Operations maintenance and construction.
- Valid B.C. Driver's License with safe driving record as per the City's policy.
- EOCP Level 1 Water Distribution certification in good standing.
The successful applicant must have the following Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
- Understands and effectively carries out oral and written instructions.
- Exercises independence of judgment and initiative in performing the duties of the position.
- Understands figures and numbers, reads construction drawings and maps of underground services, utilities, etc.
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, hand/power tools, and equipment used in Operations construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of current Water Regulations.
Conditions of Employment
This position requires completion of a Police Information Check.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
This job will be posted until September 12, 2019.
Our Values Integrity - Service - Teamwork - Innovation - Community
Engineering Maintenance and Technicians