TL Systems Engineer III
Reference ID: 20170808
The South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink) is one of Canada's most innovative transportation authorities, founded in 1999 to plan and manage transportation within Metro Vancouver. We've achieved success not only in improving the transportation network of the region, but helping maintain the enviable lifestyle of residents and the viability of local businesses. TransLink and our family of companies (Coast Mountain Bus Company, B.C. Rapid Transit Company and Transit Police) are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers.
Provides a senior advanced level of engineering expertise to integrated system-related projects involving large scope and highest risk in support of transportation service delivery in an integrated, multi-modal environment.
- Leads the integrated system design elements of projects, and/or related maintenance activities for existing and new systems to address performance/availability risks.
- Works through project life cycle (definition, design, test, commissioning, and warranty) providing input and feedback to internal/external stakeholders. Includes review of supplier documentation, preparation and execution of test plans, and following up with anomalies and issues.
- Leads troubleshooting to establish systems that meet service level quality standards.
- Works with operations staff and engineers, participating in development and documentation of designs and related manuals to facilitate system operations related to transit infrastructure efficiencies.
- Provides a senior advanced level of technical advice, analyses and designs to resolve system and safety issues, develop robust and reliable solutions, and to review related design, test and as-built documentation provided by others.
- Assesses and communicates technical impacts, and implication of operational decisions and needs to internal/external stakeholders.
- Represents TransLink's interests at project related meetings with our subsidiaries and other stakeholders. Participates in development of long range plans and studies to assess system-related transportation infrastructure requirements.
- Participates in definition and review of supplier change scope and related quotations to enable best value to be delivered in terms of time, quality and price.
- Supervises System Engineer I's and II's, taking the lead on selection, development, and coaching, and also participating in performance management.
This position requires minimum 12 years of experience as a system engineer, candidate must have P.Eng. or must be eligible to register for P.Eng.
The ideal candidate will have experience in at least 3 of the Systems listed in other information. Candidate should have an engineering degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or a related field. It would be an advanctage for the candidate to have experience leading technical teams as well as experience in the rail industry.
Recruitment Process: An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
The Systems Engineering department is responsible for delivering projects for the British Columbia Rapid Transit Company (BCRTC, or SkyTrain), Coast Mountain Bus Company (CMBC) as well as other stakeholders within the TransLink Enterprise.
Systems Engineering projects typically involve the following systems:
- SkyTrain Train Control systems
- Communications systems including:
Optical Transport Network (OTN)
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
- Fire Life and Safety Systems (FLSS)
- Power Supply and Distribution system
- Closed-Circuit Television Systems (CCTV)
Experience working with systems like the ones listed above is a requirement for the successful candidate.
This position does not involve delivery of projects related to software development or information technology.
37.5 hours per week.
How to Apply
Please click the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page or go to http://www.translink.ca/careers to apply for this position and view instructions on the process.
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application on-line.
Posting Date: November 10th 2017
Closing Date: Open until filled
Please note that only those short listed will be contacted.
Having trouble applying? Please view the System Requirements & FAQ's by going to http://www.translink.ca/careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
TransLink is committed to employment equity.
Posted: December 14, 2018
Closes: February 12, 2019