WORKING WITH US
Metalhead Software is a small but growing game studio in downtown Victoria, BC. We’re a tight-knit team that pours a ton of passion into our own original, high-quality content and we have a lot of fun doing it.
You won’t find us chasing industry trends or implementing exploitative gimmicks. We simply focus on polished, gameplay-first titles aimed to please our community. We take our craft very seriously but at the same time you’ll find our day-to-day work environment is about as casual as it gets. We try to keep it light around here – you gotta have fun to build fun!
We work in the sports genre right now, but our personal interests span the whole gamut of gaming (from board games to twitch shooters to JRPGs) and we aim to channel our diverse inspirations into fresh, well-implemented ideas in the sports genre.
We’re still small enough that any one of us is usually jumping between a few areas over the course of a project rather than working in a single specialization. That doesn’t mean we don’t like specialists (we do!) but if you happen to be interested in developing some secondary skills beyond your main thing, that’s probably something that jives well with us.
We’re still a small squad and we need to jump around between different areas over the various stages of a project. Your role during pre-production could look quite different by the time we’re on the home stretch before a release, so we’re looking for someone whose Mojo is well suited to that.
This position will have you creating stadiums (and their surrounding environments) for a large multi-platform sports title.
Let us know how your experience relates to the qualifications below.
- Strong technical & architectural modelling skills
- Proficiency in 3D content creation software
- Comfortable working with complex scenes and complex workflows
- Comfortable debugging and optimizing game assets
- Proficiency with Max, Photoshop, and/or Substance Painter
- Experience creating environment assets in game pipelines
- Familiarity with PBR material/lighting workflows
- Experience with particle effects or other VFX
- Additional 3D skills; e.g. organic modeling, characters, animation
- Scripting and/or plug-in development experience (Max and/or Maya)
Regardless of your specialization, a few things we’re looking for:
- Passion. You love to play games as much as you love to make them and you continually seek to hone your craft.
- A knack for managing your time. You know when to go deeper on a task versus recognizing that it’s time to get ‘er done and move on to the next thing. Quality is important, but so is speed!
- A willingness to branch into areas outside your core expertise. It’s just a fact of life in a small studio as we adapt to the changing demands at each stage of a project.
- Drive to execute. Projects you’ve started in the past (work or school) got finished, and got finished properly…and it had a lot to do with you.
- A sense of humor. At least enough that you can tolerate our dumb jokes.
- Willingness to relocate to Victoria if it’s not already your home. It’s awesome here.
We’re looking for the right personality as much as (actually probably more than) the right skill set, and are open to different levels of experience/seniority.
HOW TO APPLY
- Just send us an email – firstname.lastname@example.org – only as long as it needs to be to tell us what your passions are and how that might make us a good match for you.
- Please provide a portfolio of your previous work, including any professional, personal, and/or hobby projects (if they’re collaborative/group projects, please describe the specific bits you worked on). A link is great for anything on the web, but if you want to share anything else a private Dropbox link is best.
- Given that we’re open to different experience levels, salary expectations are helpful - especially for more experienced applicants.
- In case you missed it earlier, we require that you’re in (or willing to relocate to) our awesome city of Victoria, BC.
Posted: November 23, 2018
Closes: January 22, 2019