Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Team Lead, Applied Materials to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, B.C.
The Generation Technology and Testing business unit provides routine laboratory and field testing services, including inspection and safety equipment testing, condition assessment, generator testing and modelling, diagnostic testing of generator and motor stator bars and coils, non-destructive testing, material testing, and finite element analysis. Consulting and investigation offerings include asset management studies, failure investigation, and expert witness testimony. This business unit consists of laboratories for Applied Materials and Inspection Services.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Generation Technology and Testing, the incumbent will lead the Applied Materials team of Engineers and Technologists by providing technical and professional leadership in achieving work program and corporate objectives. Focus will be to lead and develop the team of professionals and enhance scope of services, while maintaining high standards in quality and customer service.
- Manage, lead and support a team of Engineers and Technologists involved in a number of projects of varying complexities; projects include research, testing and consulting with a mixture of laboratory work, field testing and desktop studies.
- Ensure that qualified internal and external resources are available and have the required expertise and tools to meet work plans; allocate resources to various projects within the work program; assign and coordinate work, and provide instructions, advice and technical guidance to other engineers, project and technical staff; review work in progress and assess completed work for accuracy, required results and compliance with quality assurance standards and procedures; where necessary provide mentorship and coaching to team members.
- Manage all aspects of the team and department including, but not limited to, financial (P&L, budget, and forecast), staff, facilities and laboratories, safety, capital expansion, customer interactions and business development.
- Lead the development of objectives, quality assurance standards, customer needs, and performance measurements and assists in managing the technical and operational performance of the unit to meet these objectives and client servicing needs.
- Lead in business development activities by seeking out opportunities in areas of expertise, contacting prospective clients, preparing proposals and conducting client follow-up.
- Appraise staff performance and provide input into an employee development program in order to maintain the required expertise; assist the sector senior manager in staff selection, training and recommending promotions
- Provide technical leadership and act as an expert technical resource responsible for providing professional and technical advice in mechanical engineering and projects.
- Investigate and analyze challenging or unusual problems of an engineering and project nature, develop alternatives, evaluate risks and apply innovative solutions.
- Maintain alignment with the expanding Powertech quality program and accreditations.
- Develop a robust program of new services in support of growing the team and the services offered to Powertech’s customers.
- Maintain a keen outlook on opportunities for new service opportunities, and assess for feasibility and market size.
- Work collaboratively with other teams across Powertech, and seek opportunities for cross-discipline projects.
- Reviews, enhance and develop methods, procedures and technical standards to take advantage of new technology and improve department effectiveness and efficiency
- May be required to chair meetings to address engineering problems in area of expertise and to attend and address seminars, courses, meetings, and conferences; participate in the Public Consultation process and may be required to make presentations
Education, Experience, Technical Skills Required
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in materials, metallurgical, mechanical, chemical engineering or equivalent recognized by universities in Canada required
- Minimum of fifteen years of related experience; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Strong knowledge of mechanical components of hydroelectric generating stations (turbines, penstocks, gates, valves, auxiliary equipment, etc.), condition monitoring and assessment, operation and maintenance practices
- Demonstrated experience in managing all aspects of a highly qualified team of technical experts
- Thorough understanding in principles of managing multifaceted multidisciplinary projects; inclusive of budgets, resources, schedules, and deliverables through proposal, definition, initiation, planning, execution, reporting, and closure stages.
- Experience in protective coatings systems for industrial environments:
- Design, testing, application and specification
- Knowledge of surface finishes, preparation requirements, application techniques and technologies, curing process, testing requirements, and pass/fail criteria.
- Knowledge of coating system varieties, compositions, properties, etc.
- Familiarity with internationally recognized testing, inspection, and design standards (NACE, ISO, ASTM, etc.)
- The ideal candidate will have expertise in protective coatings in one or more of the following:
- Coating Consulting and Engineering
- Coating Manufacturing and R&D
- Industrial Coating Applicators
- Industrial Asset Management and Maintenance
- Marine and Shipbuilding
- Non-destructive Testing and Consulting
- Eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC
- Cathodic protection experience and NACE CP certification (or equivalent) would be an asset
- Experience with materials and mechanical solutions from substation, transmission, and distribution sectors would be an asset.
- Additional experience in materials testing, failure analysis, welding, fitness for service, and/or non-destructive testing would be an asset
Performance Competencies (Non-Technical Skills)
- Demonstrated rigor in modeling awareness and behaviours for working safely in laboratories and the field
- Entrepreneurial mindset with proven track record in business development success
- Demonstrated management of a P&L and an understanding of annual planning, budgeting and business forecasting
- Knowledge of environmental, socio-economic and public interest issues and their impact on area of expertise
- Broad technical knowledge of the utility business with recognized technical expertise
- Excellent leadership, team building and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage the successful implementation and delivery of products and services to the client on time and within budget
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills including the ability to build successful relationships, make presentations to technical and non-technical audiences and liaise with peers in industry
- Excellent decision making capabilities
- Able to adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Job ID: TLAM2018.7
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: January 21, 2018
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply, and to learn more about Powertech Labs Inc., visit our website at powertechlabs.com