September 30, 2021
Reporting to the Manager Tailings, the Tailings Engineer is responsible for being the primary technical resource for tailings operations, deposition, and the Tailings and Water Retaining Structures (TWRS). Based on site, this role focuses on planning, monitoring, deposit assessments and management, advising operational leadership, and supervising field activities related to tailings systems.
To be successful in this role, we require a self-motivated individual with strong interpersonal and communication skills, who can collaborate and excel in a technical team-based environment; someone who has a demonstrated ability to influence others, and has strong time management skills.
In this role you will have the opportunity to build relationships across departments through professional development, engagement, empowerment, autonomy, and building internal expertise and capacity. You will have opportunities to rotate through other sites in the valley, gaining experience and relationships along the way. This is an exciting chance to build your career in tailings, with the potential for career progression through our enterprise. This is a temporary position (12-18 Month contract).
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Come experience what work life balance is all about! Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Mentor and guide junior engineers in support of their professional development
- Implement the surveillance, inspection, monitoring, and maintenance plan (OMS)
- Provide updates to operating, maintenance, and surveillance manuals, along with emergency preparedness and response plans, and other management system documents
- Develop and maintain short-and long-range plans for tailings and water management facilities, including mass balances, tailings deposition plans, and water balances
- Develop and maintain a site-wide mass balance, focused on tailings deposition
- Conduct monthly reconciliation of plans and ongoing mass balance analyses
- Ensure work complies with regulatory requirements, HSEC Standards, and relevant guidelines
- Ensure an organizational change process is used appropriately
- Develop identification and performance requirements for tailings and water retaining off-plot equipment, such as pumps, dredges, pipelines
- Report on performance and connect with site leadership
- Develop scopes of deposit assessment programs, such as drilling, CPT, LiDAR, and satellite
- Support project execution on site, including deposit assessment
- Coordinate activities with Consultants, Project Engineering, Processing, Environmental, necessary Teck corporate entities, contractors, and Government Regulators as required
- Develop budgets and track costs on tailings related activities
- Degree in Civil, Geotechnical, or Geological Engineering, or equivalent
- Minimum of five years operational, construction, or design work experience in the mining industry specific to tailings storage facilities
- Registered, or able to register, as a Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia
- Experience working on project teams
- Detailed understanding of tailings behavior, technologies, geotechnical investigation methods and analyses, soil mechanics, surface and subsurface monitoring systems, and database management
- Experience working with external specialists, such as regulators and Engineers of Record, and familiar with tailings guidelines and regulations
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources. Job Segment:
Engineer, Construction, Temporary, Geology, Engineering, Contract, Mining