Job Description Summary
The System Engineer, Instrumentation is responsible for custom designed systems and new products based on both new and existing STEMCELL platforms and technology. The system engineer will operate closely with customers and in-house hardware, software and scientific teams, developing and configuring engineering solutions, building and testing technology and platforms, and rolling them out with customers. This is a hands-on position requiring a broad range of technical, scientific and interpersonal skills with an opportunity to develop the role within STEMCELL in many directions.
This is an exciting opportunity to deliver advanced laboratory automation instruments to STEMCELL's new and existing customers globally. You will be part of a dynamic product development team responsible for designing, expanding and continuously driving innovation of our lab instrumentation and consumable products. As Canada's largest biotechnology company, STEMCELL Technologies Inc. provides leading edge robotic, software and reagent solutions that drive our customers' research at the forefront of science. The role provides an opportunity to contribute to product development, innovation and solution provision for our customers, as well as to maintain our leadership presence in the life sciences industry.Job Description Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate closely with customer teams to translate their application and operational requirements into a system specification and act as the point of contact for customer requirements throughout the system development and delivery lifecycle.
- Champion customer requirements as part of an in-house engineering and scientific team developing new technology and configuring existing platforms to ensure they meet customer needs and expectations.
- Design new systems incorporating robotics, automation, imaging and liquid handling as part of our expanding range of laboratory automation products that use both in-house and third party technology.
- Prototype and test new technology, verify performance and conduct design reviews factoring in aspects of the product life cycle such as manufacturing, service, regulatory requirements, backwards compatibility, competing technologies and obsolescence.
- Draw up test and commissioning plans with the custom and lead the installation, handover and 'Go Live' of systems with the customer team providing hands-on support, guidance and training as required.
- Maintain contact with the customer base and application environment to understand evolving requirements, champion the development and roll-out of new upgrades and troubleshoot complex issues with in-house engineering and scientific teams.
- Generate and maintain design history records, requirements, specifications, protocols, procedures, analysis and testing, and present results to the team according to company and QMS standards.
- Provide reports to Instrumentation teams and management flagging potential risk areas and provide plans to address them.
- Contribute to annual departmental objectives and projects .
- A bachelor's degree in Systems, Electronics, Mechatronics, Computer or Biomedical Engineering with a minimum of 4+ years relevant experience, or a master's degree with a minimum of 3+ years relevant experience.
- Specific knowledge of automation systems with particular emphasis on one or more of: i) Component integration, ii) Control systems, iii) Data analysis, iv) Block diagrams and electrical and wiring drawings, v) Workflow management and UI software.
- Experience with best practices for software and hardware design including standard applications for engineering design and version control: i) Integrated development environment (VisualStudio), ii) Object-oriented programing languages (C++, Pascal, Rust, Swift), iii) Scripting languages (Python), iv) C/C++ programing in multi-processing environment, v) Change control systems (GitHub), vi) Hardware (SolidWorks), vii) OpenCV, XML, viii) Third party APIs, viiii) Databases (SQL, SQLite, MySQL).
- Experience translating use cases and technical requirements into specifications and test cases.
- Excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting skills with a systematic analytical approach.
- Experience in performing risk assessments and FMEAs is an asset.
- Demonstrated project management and project planning experience coordinating projects with varying deadlines is an asset.
- Excellent communication (oral, written, presenter) and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a team, with cross-functional teams and with customers.
- Team oriented yet self-motivated; highly organized with strong attention to detail and accuracy, and proficient time management skills.
- Experience in design and written procedures consistent with ISO 13485 or developing products for diagnostic or clinical applications is an asset.
- Experience in designing for low to mid-level production volumes and working with external suppliers is an asset.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Management and Executive