The Ballard team in Burnaby British Columbia is searching for a Systems Engineer
. The Systems Engineer will play a key role in profitably delivering innovative clean energy solutions to our customers by providing engineering guidance and support in the development and deployment of fuel cell systems.
This position requires a view of the system that encompasses not only system design, but logistics associated with field deployment, production, customer experience and continuation engineering. This position will require constant attention to parallel design efforts to ensure they converge on the intended system design in the face of changing requirements. Effective communication with engineering resources in other countries and time zones will be required. Responsibilities:
Required Skills and Experience:
- Develop sub-system requirements documentation from product specification, product requirements and market requirements documentation.
- Determine and define sub-system interfaces to optimize different aspects of the system such as field serviceability, system reliability and cost distribution.
- Must be able to create systems models to accurately predict performance under various environmental and life-cycle conditions.
- Perform trade-off studies for different system configurations.
- Perform gap analysis between system requirements and marketing/product requirements.
- Provide technical consultation to engineering group on BOP components where suitability for certain applications is concerned.
- Participate in entire product life-cycle from prototype to production including engineering design reviews.
- Create process & instrumentation diagrams.
- Must be able to abstract lab testing to field conditions and make useful comparison and predictions.
- Must have a broad understanding of hydraulic, chemical and electrical processes.
- Degree in systems engineering, mechanical engineering, electro-mechanical engineering, systems engineering or a related field
- 6+ years experience in relevant industry
- Experience in both an industrial and product development setting.
- Good knowledge of structural design, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid flow design and selection of mechanical components.
- Knowledge or experience with fuel cell technology
- Ability to create Process & Instrumentation Diagrams
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to meet cost and functional requirements.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent written / verbal communication skills.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.