Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers tens of thousands of businesses around the world! The messaging team owns and operates Simple Queue Service (SQS), which provides AWS customers with the cloud infrastructure for building highly scalable, asynchronous and fault tolerant cloud applications. It's a core architectural component of the critical for Amazon and many leading global enterprises running on AWS.
The messaging service and the team is growing fast and is innovating in big and brand new feature areas. We are looking for an Engineer who is obsessed with operational excellence, automation, and availability. How do you know if you are a good fit for us? You want to automate common and complex tasks in fault-tolerant that operate at scale. You love to dive deep into to identify latency and availability root causes. You find center build-outs, performance engineering, and other scaling activities to be a joy. Finally, you insist upon giving customers what they want: quality, highly available services.
In this position you'll get to:
• Work with developers to build and manage massively scaled systems
• Automate all aspects of systems management
• Help build new regions and add/manage capacity in existing regions as our usage grows
• Optimize the performance of our systems
• Track the health of our services, identify, drive to root cause, and fix problems
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee- led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• A minimum of 3 years building and running for Internet-facing services
• A minimum of 3 years experience in scripting (Perl/ or Shell) and automation
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, sense of ownership, urgency and drivePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with TCP/IP network troubleshooting and administration
• Experience in a 24x7 production environment, esp. one based on Linux
• Excellent troubleshooting skills at all levels, from application to network to host
• Experience with management and monitoring software (home-grown or commercially available)
• Experience with performance testing and tuning
• Automation or monitoring framework experience, deployment or development
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us