BCNET is a not-for-profit, shared information technology (IT) services organization led, owned, governed and funded primarily by its members, British Columbia's higher education and research institutions. BCNET facilitates a unique, collaborative culture that promotes inter-institutional partnerships to explore, evaluate and develop shared IT service solutions for mutual technology challenges.
The Systems Administrator is responsible for implementation, maintenance of all elements of BCNET’s multiplatform physical and virtual servers, appliances and firewalls. Ensure the security of the BCNET infrastructure working with BCNET’s ISO and using best practices. Use and implement server management tools to monitor and create baseline performances. Maintain and verify the integrity of backups of BCNET infrastructure. Assist BCNET’s Network Services, Client Services, Shared Systems and Technology as required. Document work through helpdesk and change management software and other means.
Manager, Information Technology
JOB DUTIES AND TASKS:
You would be
- Working with the BCNET Manager, Information Technology and as a member of the IT team, provide second and third level operational support to ensure the stability and service levels of the BCNET server infrastructure;
- Monitoring server infrastructure activity and connectivity, troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves server infrastructure problems;
- Assessing server infrastructure problems and develops solutions and implementation plans for resolutions with vendor equipment or software suppliers and maintains a peer technical expertise liaison with vendors and suppliers;
- Advising and makes recommendations to the technical life cycle planning of the BCNET server infrastructure and its effects on network services;
- Employing technical expertise and represents BCNET and Network Services, Client Services, Shared Systems and Technology in developing, maintaining, and communicating solutions with BCNET staff and customers;
- Utilizing existing toolsets to perform server or appliance installations, troubleshooting and documentation tasks;
- Working independently to see operational projects to completion and works collaboratively with peers and team members to meet objectives;
- Participating in the development of best practices, standards, procedures and quality objectives across the infrastructure and platforms;
- Maintaining appropriate professional designations and up-to-date knowledge of current information technology techniques and tools;
- Occasionally required to provide after hours on-call support on a rotational basis and be available off-hours to work on emergency server infrastructure problems, maintenance, or project activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Be a Canadian citizen or have required documentation to work in Canada
- Have a technology diploma/degree and 5 years of progressive experience administering Linux systems
- Have experience in scripting and command line tools in UNIX and Linux using administrative languages such as Perl and Shell scripting.
- Have experience with LDAP, Radius, DHCP, DNS
- Be familiarity with VMware, KVM and/or Hyper-V virtualization
- Have experience in working in an environment requiring strong Change Control processes and procedures.
- Be able to monitor performance and troubleshoot alerts using commercial, open source, and locally developed monitoring tools.
- A good understanding of LAMP configuration.
- Have experience with Active Directory
- Be familiar with fundamentals of IT security, hardening practices, and security management tools.
- Have experience with system failure analysis and recovery. Ensuring system consistency and integrity.
- Have a strong understanding of Database systems (i.e. Mysql, PosgreSQL, Microsoft SQL)
- Have experience in effectively presenting technical solutions to customers
- Microsoft Windows automation facilities (i.e. PowerShell, DSC)
- Familiarity with Jira, Wiki, Confluence and Puppet applications.
- Automation tools (i.e. Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Experience working within the higher education
Job Category: Systems Administrator
Status: Full Time
Positions available: 1
How to Apply: Apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org