Strategic Portfolio Management Organization (SPMO) is responsible for supporting business strategies and achieving business results through strong project delivery, flexible project management governance, processes and standards, and accurate and timely reporting.
As a key member of the Strategic Portfolio Management Organization (SPMO), the Strategic Program Manager uses exceptional organizational, project delivery and communications skills to track, document, and report program status and results to team members, management, and other stakeholders. The position provides leadership, consulting, monitoring, and problem resolution for programs and promotes and supports project management culture, methodology, practices, and procedures to every level of the organization.
The Strategic Program Manager role will report in through the Project Delivery Executive and will be accountable for delivering strategic programs and projects that are critical to client and ESIT Advanced Solutions organizational objectives. The individual will be expected to produce high quality project and program management collateral, have demonstrated leadership experience, and exhibit relationship management skills and capabilities that will elicit confidence with diverse teams and stakeholders.
- Program Leadership – provide leadership on complex strategic projects through all phases of the Project Management lifecycle according to established standards and during the pre-sale cycles if required;
- Program Cost Management – review and support project budgets based on approved forecasts. Ensure budgets align with program and business objective. Ensure sound financial management by providing financial reports, approving and issuing invoices in a timely manner and aligning invoicing with contractual obligations;
- Program Scope Management – support scope efforts of the Project Managers. Ensure appropriate scope management through Project Change Request management and timely escalations;
- Program Schedule and Resource Management - develop and manage integrated schedules based on approved project timelines; manage and direct assigned project resources up to 50. Work to resolve prioritization of projects;
- Program Change Management – ensure all changes to project cost, scope, and schedule are managed according to established change management processes;
- Program Issue and Risk Management – identify and prioritize project issues and risks, ensure risk handling plans are created, and managed. Acts as first line of escalation;
- Communications – present and communicate program status, risks, and issues to all stakeholders according to their needs. Able to develop executive level presentations, assess audience needs and address them accordingly;
- Standards and Methodology - recommend improvements to Project Delivery Executive and Portfolio Management director to established project and program management standards, practices and tools, as appropriate;
- Team Leadership – manage team assignments, provide feedback to team members on their deliverables and performance, participate in SFS reviews, assist with the establishment of individual and team goals; and
- Other - perform other related duties as directed by the responsible Leader.
Generally manages projects/programs up to a value to $10 Million.
Education and Experience
- Degree and 10 years of project and program management experience; or
- Diploma and 12 years of project and program management experience; or
- Certificate or program completion, or some course work, and 15 years of project and program management experience;
- ITIL Certification would be an asset; and
- PMP Certification would be an asset.
Related education and experience must be in the field of Business, Information Technology, and Project Management. There will be different combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or training that would result in the person meeting the above standards.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Evidence of managing complex IT application development and infrastructure projects at an executive level;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate with people at all levels of an organization;
- Ability to build consensus and apply effective conflict resolution techniques;
- Effective at using negotiation, persuasion, and influence to ensure successful project outcomes;
- Ability to review and interpret contractual documents;
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure while effectively managing multiple complex projects;
- Ability to establish strong and effective working relationships with all levels of management and participate as an effective leader;
- Excellent team building skills, utilizing appropriate leadership styles to inspire shared vision ;
- Experience managing and directing team members in a unionized environment;
- Integrity based leadership to build open and honest communications based on shared values;
- Critical listening skills to ensure all project input is captured and actioned successfully;
- Demonstrated problem solving skills to help overcome project challenges effectively by developing alternative approaches and solutions to meet project needs;
- Ability to anticipate the consequences of project choices on the team, the client, and project outcomes;
- Ensure consistency of PM Practices;
- Reaching out to clients on project and project manager performance proactively;
- Act as first line of response for project escalations;
- Mentor and support project managers;
- Assign project managers to projects;
- Represent Project Services at ESIT Advanced Solutions leadership meetings (as appropriate);
- Backfill for project managers as required;
- QA project collateral authored by project managers;
- Ensuring project managers complete assigned actions as required;
- Develop program level plans that address the program’s scope, quality, risk, procurement, schedule, communication and budgets;
- Where required, establish program governance to ensure appropriate communication and decision making;
- Define, structure and monitor component projects to meet organizational needs;
- Manage interdependencies between projects as required;
- Work with finance to plan and manage and control program budgets;
- Act as a senior level consulting resource concerning all aspects of Program and Project management;
- Experience and proven application of formal project management methodologies (PMBOK), processes, and tools;
- Knowledge of IT development life cycles (e.g. SDLC);
- Experience with implementing and managing change (Organizational Change Management);
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and effectively prioritize; and
- Supervisory and leadership skills.
- May be required to work overtime.
Employment Type: Full time, Regular
Union/Non-Union: Union - BCGEU
Salary Grid Level: Level 32, Salary Schedule 2
Annual Salary: $92,121.50 - $ 105,530.86 (based on a 35 hour work week)
$105,281.71 – $120,606.70 (based on a 40 hour work week)
Office Location: Victoria, British Columbia