The Ballard team in Burnaby, BC is searching for a Senior Engineer - Unit Cell Engineering (E3)
. The Senior Engineer will play a key roll in profitably delivering innovative clean energy solutions to our customers by providing engineering guidance and support in the development of fuel cell stacks.
This position requires a view of the unit cell that encompasses a full understanding of trade-offs between different options in plate, MEA and seal geometry, materials and manufacturing methods to develop world leading technology. This position will require effective communication with research, materials and manufacturing to ensure we converge on the best unit cell design(s).Responsibilities:
- Develop unit cell requirement documentation from product specification, product requirements and process requirements.
- Perform trade-off studies for various unit cell architectures
- Perform gap analysis including both design and process attributes
- Produce technical consultation to research, materials, process and manufacturing engineering where needed
- Participate in entire product lifecycle from prototype to production including engineering design reviews
- Must be able to abstract lab testing to field conditions and make useful comparisons and predictions
- Must have broad understanding of high volume manufacturing techniques
- Must have an engineering degree from a Mechanical, Chemical or Materials Engineering program, advanced degree is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in relevant industry
- Strong preference for experience in motive applications such as bus, train or automotive.
- Experience with automotive (IATF) or similar product development processes
- 6 sigma or similar statistical knowledge a plus
- Demonstrated capability for critical thinking
- Excellent time management and organizational skills strong interpersonal skills, strong oral and writing communication skills and good listening skills
- Ability to work in a multi-functional team environment.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.