We're an internally-focused team making deep changes to tooling, infrastructure, processes, and control plane components within the Relational Database Service, one of the fastest growing businesses within AWS.
Our service provides managed, reliable, scalable and highly available relational databases on demand, and we are currently supporting the largest fleet of relational databases on Earth. We minimize the effort required to maintain SQL databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage, setting up replicas for load-spreading and DR, and high availability / redundancy, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses.
We're looking for passionate software engineers to help us scale in advance of our next 2x (and the 2x after that, and the one after that...).
For more information about RDS, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds.
You have a passion for software development and are ready to step up from being just a coder - you're comfortable in the open-source and Linux worlds, can proficiently write code in more than a couple of languages and are picking up new ones as needed. You can explain why various design patterns are both awesome and constraining, you've seen code fail (and fixed) in production in spectacular ways - and learned from it. You've come to the understanding that being passionate about an idea is different than taking it personally and believe that debate makes strong ideas stronger.
You've written lots of software, shipped products and contributed to platforms, tools and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them. You love to learn new things and to grow.
Who are you? You're the new Software Development Engineer joining us at RDS. We work hard, have fun and make history - let's go play.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position does involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systemsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Excellent written and spoken English.
• Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Understanding of networking, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, distributed computing and best practices related to same.
• Excellent understanding of the basic areas of Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases.
• Experience developing micro-services.
• Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment.
• Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive product improvement
• Passion for automation and providing a great customer experience
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming