The AWS Commerce Platform team is looking for talented and passionate senior engineers with strong technical and business systems backgrounds to build new billing, payments and financial reconciliation services and products. This position is not for implementing or supporting existing software packages but rather for development of new systems and customer facing features that are critical to the success of our customer's businesses and directly impact AWS's growth and international expansion efforts.
The AWS Commerce Platform enables customers to purchase AWS products and services, generating billions of dollars in revenue. Our teams provide customers with a world class customer experience around billing, payments and financial reports. You will have the opportunity to influence hundreds of millions of customers globally, creating products used by thousands of companies worldwide, and contributing to the continued success and expansion of AWS. As an engineer within Commerce Platform, you will be part of a team of high performing engineers. You will interface with many teams across AWS including our Billing, Payments and Financial groups. You will also be working with integrating directly with customers systems.
We are building high scale payment processing systems that will seamlessly meet B2B needs for AWS customers. In order to meet the needs of AWS' businesses, these next generation services must have self-service features, be configuration driven, and deliver superior operational excellence. Additionally, AWS services need to be highly scalable, extremely secure, and have near real time response times.
In this role, you will serve as the technical lead on our most demanding projects. You will be responsible for driving the team's technical direction, strategizing and shaping our long-term vision and architecture. You will own major deliverables end-to-end, drive roadmaps, and provide technical leadership to the engineering team. If you're excited by cloud computing and machine learning, designing highly scalable, fault tolerant systems, and want to be challenged by the toughest computer science problems, then join us to build the next generation systems.
As a Sr. Software Development Engineer you will:
* Lead the team in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of services that our customers depend on.
* Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
* Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
* Work closely with other teams across AWS and Amazon to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
* Obsess over protecting customer information, maintaining single-digit millisecond latencies, and simplifying enterprise scale commerce complexity.
* Mentor a large group of people with a direct handle on the pulse of each employee on your team.
* Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
* Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within AWS on a weekly basis.
Come join us if you are passionate about building products and teams with an "AWS scale" business impact!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- 3+ years of software development experience.
- 1+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C#.
- In-depth knowledge of CS data structures and algorithms.
- Strong debugging, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
- Working knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Computer Science or a related discipline.
- 7+ years of software development experience.
- Experience building extremely high volume and highly scalable web services.
- Experience building highly available systems and operating 24x7 services.
- Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, replication, and load balancing.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science.
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming