Are you passionate about Distributed Systems, Cloud Computing and Big Data? Think about what it takes to process and store millions of financially significant transactions that are generated each day as millions of purchases are made, as thousands of merchants are paid, as inventory moves in and out of warehouses, and as suppliers & vendors are paid!
We, the eCommerce Financial Integration (eCFI) development group in Vancouver, are looking for strong, innovative engineers to help us mold cloud computing and storage technologies into a secure, scalable, efficient platform for financial events processing, storage and analysis that will serve Amazon for the next decade.
As an engineer here, you will be part of a team of high performing engineers to build, scale, monitor, and optimize the platform that is the foundation for Amazon's financial reporting. We reliably handle data in high volume and velocity. You will interface with teams and systems inside and outside our org including Business systems, Financial Systems, and Accounting.
Our mission is to provide a world-class customer experience through a data driven approach and scalable and robust software. Challenges and opportunities span both the business and technical realms.
A successful candidate will be a self-starter and fast learner with an established background in developing high volume and highly available services, strong technical ability, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a dynamic fast paced environment.
Who is eCFI?
eCommerce Financial Integration (eCFI), a division within Amazon's eCommerce Services Organization (eCS) is leading innovation in business systems integration and defining the future of financial accounting at Amazon scale. Our systems are advancing one of the world's most scalable, reliable, and secure e-commerce ecosystem and responsible for processing hundreds of billions of dollars in transactions, in multiple currencies and countries. We are at the center of Amazon's key initiatives and fueling the growth of Amazon's businesses worldwide by constantly raising the bar on the speed at which business teams can integrate with our systems.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Key job responsibilities
As a Senior Software Development Engineer you...
- Solve intrinsically difficult big-data problems with architectural complexity and high levels of ambiguity.
- Own projects that impact the entire service, and influence or impact the services around your own.
- Lead your team in design and code review processes bringing clarity to designs and simplifying solutions.
- Deliver high quality code and artifacts that set the standards your team.
- Proactively look for opportunities to improve your services, and the services around you, making insightful contributions benefitting our customers.
- Participate in and raise the bar for our Operational Excellence in an on-call rotation.
- Are a strong communicator and collaborator, able to build consensus on contentious issues and bring teams together for the best outcomes.
- Are a technical leader and mentor for a team of engineers, raising the bar on code quality, operational excellence, security, project delivery, and more.
- Actively participate in the hiring process, helping ensure each engineer who joins our team raises the Amazon bar.
A day in the life
- You'll start your day joining your team's stand-up, identifying where you can help unblock your fellow engineers, and identifying opportunities where you can improve outcomes in the sprint.
- You follow-up with the on-call engineer after standup, offering assistance in addressing a pattern you saw in the service health dashboard indicating increased latency in our service.
- You attend a 1-on-1 meeting with another engineer on the team who you've been mentoring in reducing the complexity of their code.
- You'll lead the team's weekly tech discussion, where you share the latest updates from an AWS service we use, resulting in faster processing of one of our transaction queues and how to implement this.
- You review the latest design proposal from one of the newest team members for a project goal, providing feedback on how we can eliminate requiring an additional dependency, and reduce run costs through a serverless architecture.
- You wrap up the day checking in your code, and your code review helps your peers improve their styling, since you set the bar for our team on this.
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7+ years professional experience in software development
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Perl
- Proven track record of delivering significant results.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with UNIX or Linux systems
- Project Management experience with agile development methodology
- XML/JSON and Web Service concepts
- Familiarity with NoSQL, distributed databases
- Familiarity with RDBMS
- Prior experience with building and supporting live high-volume transaction processing systems
- Ability to take raw product requirements and create software architectures and designs to bring them to life.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization, including Engineering, Program Management, Quality Assurance, and Senior Leadership
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and opinions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming