September 27, 2021
Reporting to the Lead Operating Excellence, the Specialist Operating Excellence/Continuous Improvement is responsible for supporting key improvement initiatives. As a practitioner in the area of Continuous Improvement (CI), you will evaluate site opportunities, benchmark site performance, and promote prioritized initiatives.
To be successful, we are looking for someone who has strong problem solving and decision making capabilities, who can make strong judgments through analysis of quantitative and qualitative information. The working environment is fast-paced and dynamic, therefore the ability to manage changing priorities in a detail-oriented and organized manner is crucial. Above all else, to thrive in this role you will have excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills, and be able to build and maintain successful relationships with partners across the company.
This role gives you the opportunity to gain exposure to all sides of our operation and work with varying departments. You will get the chance to see the operation from a holistic point of view and maintain diversity in your day to day work. A crucial part of the role is advancing the culture of continual improvement through all layers of our organization.
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Working a compressed work week with alternating Fridays off, come experience what work life balance is all about! Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Work with operating departments in the evaluation of ideas, apply organizational change strategies with end users and digital teams, and sustain initiatives
- Improve site performance through benchmarking to identify potential opportunities and initiatives to address specified business objectives
- Find opportunities to improve efficiency and reduce cost that will impact metrics in actuals, forecasts, and budgets, such as BCM/OpHr, $/meter drilled, operating efficiency, or $/bcm blasted
- Promote the sharing of site successes that can be actioned across our operations
- Support problem solving and implementation planning through the application of an in depth understanding of the mining business, and key cost and business drivers
- Report on realized benefits, business objectives, and validate that recognized gains are calculated on a standardized basis
- Degree in Finance, Mining, Engineering, Processing, or qualification in a related subject area
- Minimum two years of experience in CI or an Operating Excellence environment using Lean, Six Sigma, or other CI processes
- Sophisticated user of the Microsoft Suite®, in particular Excel, PowerPoint, and Power BI
- Experience with Python, SQL, and data and statistical analytics is a strong asset
- Understanding of business, cost drivers and levers for improvement
- Proven success implementing change through end user and partner engagement, and sustaining results in an operationally complex business
- Experience developing business cases, and an ability to communicate through multiple mediums
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources. Job Segment:
Engineer, Lean Six Sigma, SQL, Database, Engineering, Management, Mining, Technology