Amazon Retail brings buyers and sellers together. Our retail customers depend on us to give them access to every product at the best possible price. Our sellers depend on us to give them a platform to launch their business into every home and marketplace. Making this happen is the mission of every member of the Amazon International Expansion team.
The ask is simple: make everything available to everyone all the time at the best possible price across the globe. The implementation is not - so we're looking for leaders who aren't afraid of tackling massive scale, layered complexity and ambiguous problems to empower our customers to shop the World. No two features are ever the same and our customers are hungry for every single one!
Key job responsibilities
We are looking for an experienced Software Development Manager to join our growing team of developers in Vancouver, BC. On our team, you will work on many highly available Tier-1 services, and will be at the forefront of enabling experiences tailor-made for our 300 million plus customers. You will be tasked to think big and find new ways on how we can more efficiently expand into new geographies, and work daily with massively scalable distributed systems processing hundreds of billions of requests a day. You will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in design, development, test, and deployment of these services, at the same uphold the bar for OE (operational excellence). You will also be responsible for growing your team via hiring and developing engineers to meet their career goals. Candidates will need to think outside the box to quickly come up with innovative solutions to problems that are unique to Amazon. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing real time scalable systems, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
A day in the life
In a typical day you will mainly be working closely with your team of developers and product managers, solving problems and planning next steps. In addition, you will be working on forward looking architectural problems, often writing technical documents to be presented to Amazon leadership. You will also be coaching your team, helping them grow and get to the next level.
About the team
The Amazon International Expansion team in Vancouver is small group (20-30 people) of experienced Amazonians who tackle complex/ambiguous problems everyday. We keep our on-call load low, so we can focus on solving bigger picture problems. We are a social group and generally organize a team event at least once per month. Recent activities includes Archery tag, GoKarting, and hiking on Cypress Mountain.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
• Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related fieldPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Ability to handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to navigate ambiguity and delivery incrementally to the right direction
• A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability, and performance
• A passion for people management and mentorship
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• 5+ years relevant work experience in commercial or web-scale system software development
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming