Job Description Summary
The Software Engineer is responsible for designing and developing the next generation of laboratory automation instruments within the Instrumentation Team in the Research and Development (R&D) department. This role will be involved in the full life cycle of instrumentation software and hardware development including requirements analysis, hardware and software development and testing, quality of design, documentation and technical support.Job Description
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the architecture, design, documentation and delivery of new and existing software and hardware modules for STEMCELL's laboratory automation instruments following the product development life cycle
- Prototype and evaluate complex systems to determine performance, identify and troubleshoot potential risks, failure modes and bottlenecks
- Design, write, maintain, test, debug and deliver code to established standards in a Windows .net or embedded environment for implementation of instrumentation control functionality and/or user interfaces
- Design tests, analyze data and research new technologies, materials and products with the goal of improving the system design, performance and testability.
- Evaluate and resolve factors affecting the product development life cycle for instrumentation products including, parts supply, manufacturing, service, regulations, risks, testability, reliability, maintainability, software upgrades and compatibility
- Support Quality Management Systems (QMS) initiatives and adhere to QMS requirements
- Degree in an Engineering related discipline (preferably but not limited to Electrical / Electronic / Systems / Computer) with 5+ years of industry experience
- Specific knowledge of laboratory automation systems is preferred with particular emphasis on one or more of: user interface, control software, motion control, robotics, liquid handling, sensing and machine vision
- Familiarity with standard applications for engineering design and version control.
- Experience in full life cycle of software development, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in development of modular systems and memory management, Python/ C++/ C# and knowledge of real-time, multi-threaded operating systems, applications and concepts
- Working knowledge of fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience with MySQL/ PostgreSQL/ SQL Server/ SQLite database is an asset
- Excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting skills with a systematic analytical approach
- Demonstrated ability to work in small teams responsible for feature delivery
- Excellent communication (verbal, written, presenter) and interpersonal skills both in one-on-one and in a group setting
- Experience with developing products for diagnostic or clinical applications is an asset.
- Experience designing for low to mid-level production volumes is an asset.
- Experience in design and written procedures consistent with ISO 13485 is an asset.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Management and Executive