Closing Date: February 7, 2023
Do you have outstanding Python and cloud expertise? Are you looking for a challenging new role in a fast-paced environment? BCI is currently seeking an experienced Software Engineer to join our Service Delivery team supporting our middle- and back-office client groups.
This role is a 12-month fixed-term
opportunity with a chance to access our full range of benefits from day one, with the potential to move into a full-time permanent role. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Software Engineer is responsible for the design, development or configuration, testing, and support of software products for assigned client area(s), and collaborates with stakeholders throughout the development or enhancement process. The Software Engineer is instrumental in developing customer-focused front-end and back-end business applications in an Agile hybrid environment, and drives the effective and efficient delivery of high-quality products.WHAT YOU BRING
- Bachelor's degree in Technology, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- Up to 5+ years experience as Developer or Software Engineer with responsibility for design, development, testing and production support
- A minimum of 3 years experience with Agile methods (Scrum and/or Kanban) and DevOps practices
- Must have development experience using programming languages. Strong Python and Django framework experience is key for this role.
- Must have experience working under one or more of the following: Bitbucket, Maven, Jenkins, Linux, Unix Tools, Junit, JTest, XML, XSL, XSML, XSD, SQL, etc.
- Must have experience with issue tracking and product development and version control tools
- Experience supporting systems on a cloud computing platform (i.e., Azure, AWS) and supporting 3rd party cloud systems including troubleshooting, configuration and administration activities is preferred
- Excellent customer service, listening, communication and problem-solving skills
- Professional certifications such as Certified Scrum Developer (CSD), Certified Scrum Professional (CSP), Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP), Microsoft Certified Azure Developer Associate, Microsoft Certified App Builder, or equivalent credentials are an asset
- Knowledge of the investment management industry is an asset
WHY APPLY TO JOIN BCI?
- Collaborates with business and technical stakeholders to build an in-depth understanding of the product vision, needs and issues of assigned client area(s)
- Collaborates with business and technical stakeholders to define requirements, solution designs and compelling user stories
- Develops, implements, tests and delivers high quality and industry-standard products that deliver maximum business value to clients with cost-effective sustainment
- Develops test strategies, designs automation frameworks, and writes unit/functional tests
- Identifies and resolves production issues and drives product innovations that improve system availability, system resilience and performance
- Applies knowledge of cloud concepts and platforms essential for the development of cloud products and manages applicable systems in a cloud-based infrastructure
- Assesses new technologies through conducting state-of-the-art reviews or proofs of concept, and develops and maintains application lifecycle roadmaps in accordance with architecture guidance
- Presents products to internal and external stakeholders, reviews the work of other engineers and provides feedback in an open, respectful and constructive manner
- Delivers products in line with scheduled commitments and implementation plans
- Proactively identifies risks and issues and proposes solutions to remove barriers
- Applies knowledge of Agile methods and continuously improves delivery performance through delivery reporting and tracking, backlog development and grooming, sprint or increment planning, and participating in retrospectives
- Applies knowledge of DevOps practices including continuous deployment, continuous integration, test-driven development and automated testing
- Acts as a subject matter expert and provides support, ad hoc training and guidance to business users and others to increase adoption of Agile methods and DevOps practices
- Contributes to BCI's reference architecture and the ongoing evolution of DevOps practices
- Ensures technical artifacts are accurate, accessible, maintained and communicated
- Undertakes special projects or assignments as required
- Performs other related duties as required
BCI is one of Canada's Top 100 Employers and has built programs and benefits to support all our employees.
As an employee of BCI you will have access to benefits such as:
- Extended health and dental coverage
- 20 days vacation per year
- Participation in our defined benefit pension plan
- 2 days paid for volunteering
- Various wellness benefits
Apply online with a copy of your resume. We encourage timely submissions of applications as candidates will be actively reviewed as the interview process may advance earlier.
Please note: This role is based out of our Victoria
office. A hybrid schedule is available with, on average, 3 days in the office and 2 working from home. We offer relocation support for the selected candidate.Images Images Additional Info
Job Type : Full-Time, Contract
Location : Victoria, BC, Vancouver Island, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level
Software and Programming