Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly available, durable, secure infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses around the world!
The orchestration team owns and operates AWS Step Functions, which provide AWS customers to build fault tolerant workflows allowing them to focus on business logic abstracting away the needs for scalability, reliability and availability.
In this role, you would be significantly changing the way in which the customers interact with AWS Step Functions building highly intuitive experiences that are unique, tailored and catered to the diverse customer user base for Step Functions. You would connect with customers directly, understand their needs and handle considerable business ambiguity to construct the technical roadmap and execute on it with explicit focus on increasing adoption.
We're looking for a Software Development Manager with an owner mindset, entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to dive deep and deliver results. You will lead a team of truly innovative engineers, and deliver features to customers around the globe. You will drive our development processes, and be a key influencer in the product and user experience life cycle. You'll need to excel at hiring and developing both FEEs and SDEs. You need to be able to grow leaders in your organization and lead a charter that grows as your organization grows. Our services operate at large scale and on critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. You'll also need to be willing to share big ideas and execute to deliver the next big innovations at rapid pace.
If working closely with customers and seeing the immediate impact of you efforts on hundreds of thousands of them excites you, AWS Step Functions is the place for you!
We belong to the Application Integration Product suite and independently operate out of Vancouver with 300+ sized organization and growing. We are at the heart of the serverless movement and work closely with other serverless services to ensure customer can build seamless event/message driven architectures at AWS scale.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee- led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/"
• Hire and develop a strong and highly effective team
• Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
• Create roadmaps, project plans and commitments for yourself and your team, then deliver consistently against those commitments.
• Work closely with UX designers, product managers, and engineers to develop user friendly UI experiences
• Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical design
• Engage with customers and partners
• Collaborate with product management on the roadmap and delivery dates
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performanceBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent
• 5+ years professional experience in software development including design patterns, data structures, test driven development.
• Experience designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, sense of ownership,
• Management experience in software development field.
• Define product road-maps working with PM and UX teams as well as technical strategy.
• Computer Science fundamentals in OOD, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysisPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Strong sense of ownership, customer obsession, and drive
• Technical expertise with established skills in designing and developing solutions to complex problems in a distributed systems environment.
• People management and mentorship to help develop successful engineering careers.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet tight timelines with optimal solutions.
• Present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• Work with teams at all levels of the organization.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming