The AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) is one of the fastest-growing AWS businesses, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are all handled in an automated fashion by our control systems. Operating such a large-scale system comes with the challenge of building sophisticated and reliable control systems automations and management tools that allow us to provide improved control, visibility and predictability.
The RDS team is looking for a talented, passionate and inquisitive Software Development Manager with experience managing highly distributed systems at scale.
The ideal candidate will look like this….
Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is "Work hard. Have fun. Make history". The right candidate will love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun.
Enjoy being a really great people manager. Building, motivating and mentoring a world-class systems & software engineering team is the most important part of this role. You should have a proven track record in recruiting and retaining top talent and excel in day-to-day people and performance management tasks.
Know how to run a tight, lean, efficient operation. You will be integral to carrying out incident management and driving operational excellence. The right candidate will want to measure everything and be very data driven. He/she will excel at using metrics, monitoring and alarming to measure and improve the operational processes, tooling and performance of their team and the RDS team as a whole.
Have a strong understanding of Software Development, Linux & Networking Technologies. The ideal candidate will have past experience working as a systems or software development engineer and a strong level of knowledge in Linux. You will enjoy keeping your technical skills reasonably current, to the point that you can still contribute to architecture discussions. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues.
Have strong project & product management experience. The successful candidate will create product roadmaps for the team. This will include helping innovate and invent new solutions to manage our systems at scale. You will need excellent technical project management skills to deliver product roadmap items as well as other cross-team projects. Experience with Agile methodologies is an advantage.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's, Master's or Ph.D degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
• 5+ years professional experience in software development of multi-threaded, scalable and highly-available distributed systems
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, high-performance computing
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, complexity analysis, problem solving and diagnosis
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, Python, C/C++, C#, Perl.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Demonstrated leadership ability as systems/software development manager
• Project management experience with agile development methodology Knowledge of professional solutions engineering practices & best practices for the full development life cycle, including standards, design and code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Strong experience with stakeholder management
• Has an understanding of and can apply statistical analysis
Software and Programming