Amazon brings buyers and sellers together. Our retail customers depend on us to give them access to every product at the best possible price. Our sellers depend on us to give them a platform to launch their business into every home and marketplace. Making this happen is the mission of every engineer on the Amazon North America Retail Expansion team.
We're looking for leaders and trailblazers who aren't afraid of tackling massive scale, layered complexity, and ambiguous requirements, who are passionate about managing distributed services that are transactional, scalable, high throughput, fault tolerant and always available. If you want to create exciting new features, bringing unique experiences and value to our customers, then we want to talk to you. If you want to work on the fulfillment technologies that bring increased selection and a premier delivery experience across all of North America, we want to talk to you. If you want to work on internet scale to positively touch millions of customers' experiences then we want to talk to you!
As a part of this role, you will:
• Build and manage a team of Software Engineers.
• Foster career growth and a strong team culture.
• Recruit, hire, mentor, and coach technical staff.
• Interface with your customers and stakeholders to understand requirements, set priorities and communicate direction and progress.
• Own all operational metrics and support for your team's software.
• Manage the agile development process and methodology to deliver value to customers.
• Help develop long-term development and business technology strategies.
Key job responsibilities
• Interact with Project Sponsors, Project Stakeholders and multiple business and technical teams to define and deliver complex features.
• Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
• Plan and manage multiple parallel projects.
• Drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration, and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities.
• Communicate project issues and status in a concise, accurate, and professional manner
• Apply best practices to software development lifecycle for projects based on experiences with a number of agile and blended approaches, as well effectively coordinating the implementations across teams using very different approaches.
• Build and maintain integrated project schedules that account for internal/external dependencies, differing SDLC approaches, constraints, and adequately factors in some contingency for some unplanned delays while still be aggressive.
• Think big & remain flexible to changing priorities, open to new ideas and have Amazon's success firmly in your focus.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 7+ years of professional experience in software development / engineering
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Strong knowledge of Object Oriented Programming with languages such as; Java, C#, C/C++, building web services and highly scalable applications
• Excellent technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Expert knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 5+ years of software development experience as a manager
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to break down complex concepts into easily understood frameworks and models.
• Passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others, and the ability to establish and sell the business and technical vision for a complicated problem area
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming