Come join a creative team dedicated to changing the way the world sees the Cloud!
We are looking for a seasoned Software Development Manager to lead the development of observability solutions (granular insights into metrics, logs, traces with rich visualization). These solutions provide interactive exploration across a large volume of data sources. A successful candidate will be responsible for managing a team of outstanding engineers and developers working to deliver a new AWS service to customers. AWS has a fast-paced environment where we "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History." On a typical day, our software engineers might deep dive to root cause a customer issue, release the latest new feature, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to building and operating at scale. You'll be surrounded by people who are incredibly smart, passionate about observability, and believe that we are only scratching the surface of what AWS can really do to help developers, SREs, and business owners everywhere.
This is a unique opportunity to build a new AWS service from the ground up to a successful launch.
In this role, you will be positioning AWS as a thought leader in related projects by collaborating and engaging closely with the community, working with and contributing to projects such as Grafana, Prometheus, and Kubernetes.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member grow into a better-rounded manager and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field (or equivalent)
• Experience with agile software methodologies.
• Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
One or more of the following are preferred:
• Experience running and maintaining a large scale, 24x7 service-oriented production environment, preferably across multiple centers.
• Experience with CNCF projects such as Kubernetes, Prometheus, Grafana, and Jaeger.
• A passion for people management and mentorship
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the software life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming