The successful candidate will be an individual who can prioritize well, communicate clearly and are proud of the technical solutions you deliver. This position is right for you if you are passionate about solving the toughest software challenges on behalf of our customers and users. To be successful on this journey, you should love having high standards for yourself and everyone you work with--always looking for opportunities to make our services better. You are deeply customer focused: understand customers' challenges, and you are constantly looking for ways to pursue them as opportunities. You have excellent communication skills, and enjoy working in an exciting, creative, passionate and collaborative team environment.
A day in the life
• You meet with your customers, your engineers, and other teams to discuss what projects move forward and in what priority order.
• You provide the larger picture, the long-term perspective, and the context (past, current, and future) behind business and technology choices.
• You evaluate whether a product to be launched meets the intent. You help your team discern which features are essential, can be triaged, as well as which can be omitted altogether.
• You may structure efforts to reduce your team's exposure to classic failure modes (e.g., requirements not sufficiently understood, ineffective team collaboration, long-term impact(s) from of the use of third-party technologies, insufficient testing).
• You may personally coordinate discrete segments of cross-functional development work (e.g., solutions to meet business goals or require changes that involve multiple teams).
• You have the ability to tackle ambiguous problems and you meet with engineers, partners and customers to discuss these before it become obstacles.
• You provide opportunities to your engineers interested in their growth.
• You identify & measure metrics that are able to capture the performance of your team and any variance against your goals.
About the hiring group
Our team's mandate is to create and operate core services building the foundations of future state architecture and accelerate the replacement of legacy recruiting systems.
• You independently manage a software development team. You are able to represent your team autonomously and require minimal guidance. You are accountable for the team's structure, software, and strategic direction. You define audit mechanisms and metrics that enable you to quickly explain your team's performance and any variance against your goals.
• You partner with your engineers and leadership to define a vision and tenets that communicate how your team makes decisions. You provide the larger picture, the long-term perspective, and the context (past, current, and future) behind business and technology choices. You effectively participate in Amazon's planning process.
• You partner with your customers, your engineers, and other teams on what projects move forward and in what priority order. You make sure your engineers have enough specificity to build the right solutions. You drive reasonable schedules and will readjust priorities to ensure the right customer, technology, and engineering outcomes.
• You understand the products and systems your team owns, their limitations and reasons behind architectural decisions. You support the adoption of high quality engineering practices. You provide your team with the necessary support to take responsibility for their systems end-to-end (design, code quality, system health).
• You tackle ambiguous problems and proactively mitigate risks before they become roadblocks. You demonstrate good judgment in how and when to escalate without damaging relationships. When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path (build consensus).
• You are strategic about engineers' growth and provide those interested with opportunities.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or highly related discipline) and/or equivalent training and work experience.
• 5+ years of hands-on software development management experience (people manager)
• Deep understanding in designing, developing, and operating software at scale (object-oriented design and service oriented architecture (SOA))
• Knowledge of Unix/Linux, and programming language like C++, Java or RubyPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• A track-record of managing multiple priorities in an ever-changing environment
• Highly-developed customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet daring timelines with optimal solutions.
• Tested abilities in meeting deadlines, prioritizing work, while maintaining attention to detail and working independently
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Software and Programming