You will be leading the team responsible for capturing telemetry from RDS instances and delivering them to a next-generation ingestion system (that your team will build) in near-real-time across millions of instances.
Key job responsibilities
You will be responsible for managing and growing your team, and owning the structure and strategy of your product. You'll own the goals, end-to-end development, and support of your team's roadmap. You'll work with stakeholders across RDS and AWS to collaborate and launch new services/features. You will own ensuring your service can scale to support your customers and integrating with multiple AWS services across all AWS regions. You will partner with engineering managers and senior engineers to coach your team through scalable and highly-available technology choices.
A day in the life
A day in the life of a Software Development Manager in the RDS Performance Insights team always involves some combination of the following:
- Understanding your customers' top needs
- Prioritizing the work of your team accordingly
- Maintaining a high bar for security and operational excellence
- Hiring and developing your team to deliver the best solutions to our customers
- Reviewing the designs and code of your team and providing technical guidance
- Collaborating with other stakeholders to remove obstacles and provide visibility
About the team
Our mission is to make AWS the most compelling place to operate relational databases by offering best-in-class monitoring and observability, as well as features and services that make it easy for customers to manage and tune the performance of their databases based on that telemetry.
We aim to move toward a unified platform where all RDS telemetry data is ingested through a single service, even if the data is ultimately destined for one or more storage layers. This unified platform will provide a foundation for other services that use RDS data plane telemetry, such as DevOps Guru and GuardDuty.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Experience working with cloud services or operating large-scale systems
- Experience with agile software development practices
- Experience building scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems for commercial online services
- Domain-level knowledge of relational database systems such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Experience in hiring and managing multi-site teams
- Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 production environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming