Would you like the lead the team that builds software to analyze, report and monitor on some of Amazon's most popular and well-used personalization features?
A day in the life
As a Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for ensuring your team successfully delivers on design, development, testing, and the operations of systems your team owns. You should have deep technical ability and excellent project management and communication skills. This role requires working closely with other leaders in our organization, both Product and Tech, to define strategy and requirements, and leading a development team from design through delivery and subsequent operation. This position will also require regular communication with senior management on status, risks, and strategy.
About the hiring group
Amazon's Personalization organization is a high-performing group that leverages Amazon's expertise in machine learning, big data, and distributed systems to deliver the best shopping experiences for our customers. We work end-to-end, from foundational backend systems to future-forward user interfaces. Our team's culture is centered on rapid prototyping, rigorous experimentation, and data-driven decision-making. We run hundreds of experiments each year and our work has revolutionized e-commerce with features such as "Customers Who Bought Also Bought" and "Recommended for You". We care deeply about our customers, as well as the well-being and growth of our team members. Amazon's internal surveys regularly recognize us as one of the best engineering organizations to work for in the company, with visible high-impact work, low operational load, respectful work-life balance, and continual opportunity to learn and grow. This is a track record we are proud of and will continue to uphold. We are looking for creative and innovative leaders with a similar penchant for deeply-technical problem solving and the ability to lead, mentor, and deliver while upholding Amazon's leadership principles.
For years, Amazon's Personalization org has delighted customers and also revolutionized e-commerce with features such as "Customers who bought this product also bought", "Frequently bought together", "Best sellers", "Recommended for you", and "Buy it again". We are an engineer-lead, data-driven organization. We are seeking a talented SDM to lead a two-pizza team of SDEs to build new analytical tools to help our organization understand how customers are using each of our features, how well they are working across different regions, in different product categories, and on different devices. By providing easy and intuitive access to data that shows how our features are performing, we enable Product Managers, SDMs and SDEs to find opportunities to provide the best personalized experience for hundreds of millions of Amazon's customers.
You're a former engineer who can see the bigger picture. While your career is full of individual wins as an engineer, it is now more fulfilling when your team is able to build, deliver, and impress. You enjoy leading and mentoring software engineers, and want to work on projects that require innovative and creative thinking alongside deep technical problem solving. You challenge yourself and others to constantly come up with better solutions, and can deliver on a technical roadmap that serves our customers and the business optimally. You communicate clearly, and hold yourself and your team to a high bar.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
• Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• 2+ years of experience managing a software development team.
• Must have delivered features for at least one large-scale production system.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• A proven track record of hiring and developing software engineers.
• A strong sense of curiosity and willingness to learn quickly, building knowledge and skills that this role requires.
• A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time.
• Experience with the Scrum methodology (or similar alternatives) for agile software development.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Deep hands-on technical expertise in cloud-based distributed software design and development, especially utilizing AWS services.
• Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance.
• Knowledge of machine learning approaches and algorithms, and experience building complex highly-scalable systems that involve predictive models or applications of machine learning.
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming