We're looking for a Software Development Manager with an owner mindset, bias for action, and also the ability to dive deep and deliver results. You will lead a team of truly innovative engineers, and deliver features to customers around the globe. You will drive our development process, and be a key influencer in the Step Functions roadmap.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly available, durable, secure infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses around the world! The orchestration team owns and operates AWS Step Functions, which provide AWS customers with the cloud infrastructure to build complex distributed systems that solve really hard problems. These are core architectural components of critical systems for Amazon as well as many customers running on AWS.
At Amazon, we hire hands-on managers at all levels. This leader will dive deep into the details on business, operations and engineering. We need technical, detail-oriented leaders who can build and grow organizations. You'll need to excel at hiring and developing both systems level and application level engineers. You need to be able to grow leaders in your organization and lead a charter that grows as your organization grows. Our services operate at large scale and on critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. You'll also need to be willing to share big ideas and execute to deliver the next big innovations at rapid pace.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee- led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal life.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/"
Hire and develop a strong and highly effective team
Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
Create roadmaps, project plans and commitments for yourself and your team, then deliver consistently against those commitments.
Work closely with UX designers, product managers, and engineers to develop user friendly UI experiences
Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical design
Engage with customers and partners
Collaborate with product management on the roadmap and delivery dates
Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance
• 5+ years professional experience in software development including design patterns, data structures, test driven development.
• Experience designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, sense of ownership,
• Management experience in software development field.
• Define product road-maps working with PM and UX teams as well as technical strategy.
• Computer Science fundamentals in OOD, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysisPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Strong sense of ownership, customer obsession, and drive
• Technical expertise with established skills in designing and developing solutions to complex problems in a distributed systems environment.
• People management and mentorship to help develop successful engineering careers.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet tight timelines with optimal solutions.
• Present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• Work with teams at all levels of the organization.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming