Are you interested in building a Brand New High Scale Intelligent Database Service in AWS from the grounds up? This is your opportunity to be part of Amazon Timestream which we just announced at re:Invent 2018. Come join us, work hard, have fun and be part of making the history.
Our software developers build the next generation technologies that change how millions of AWS customers connect, and interact with AWS services ecosystem. We use ideas from every facet of computer science including distributed computing, large-scale design, big and real-time data processing, data storage, service oriented architecture, networking, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. We are looking for a highly-motivated and passionate Software Development Manager to lead a team to build our next generation high performance purpose-built distributed data storage platform to solve real-time ingestion, storage, query, transaction and analytics processing for large scale data applications.
As part of the Amazon Timestream team (https://aws.amazon.com/timestream/), you will lead a group of highly talented engineers who are building our next-generation "purpose built" NoSQL database platform that allows developers to build highly available, scalable and high performance applications. This high performance, low-latency database will be purpose built for applications which exhibit definitive data patterns and need massive write ingestion scale and highly performant and SQL supported Queries. In addition, you will lead the delivery of a new highly scalable and available management plane system using micro-services architecture that can support use cases like multi dimensional auto scaling of the database partitions, capacity management, real-time heat and failure detection and auto-remediation system that can detect node failures in our large distributed cluster, initiate and remediate failed nodes within seconds.
These software services have unprecedented scale, performance and durability requirements. You will lead the software development of large-scale distributed purpose built database platform; in Java, C/C++ and other languages using open source technologies and Amazon proprietary technologies. Some of the roadmap items that you will own includes supporting HTTP/REST services, asynchronous messaging, event-based technologies, real-time failure detection system, horizontal and vertical scaling, management and monitoring plane workflows, auto-remediation, serverless and auto scaling, fault tolerance, backup and restore technologies, disaster recovery and prevention.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
If you are interested in leading building of large-scale distributed systems, have high quality bar, flair for innovation, and passion for solving some of the most challenging problems in the industry, we need you! You'll have an opportunity to work alongside and learn from the architects of Amazon's AWS infrastructure, and to build the platform that drives the success of Amazon's businesses.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related discipline (or) at least 5 years equivalent work experience
• 3+ years experience managing software development teams
• Experience in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C#, Go, C++, Ruby, or Python.
• Hands on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Experience driving complex, cross-organizational projects
• Experience creating and driving a bold vision
• Experience with real-time, high throughput & low latency distributed systems
• Understanding of networking protocols
• Publish/subscribe or other event messaging technologies
• REST Architecture, Data Sharding, Online Transaction Processing
• Project management experience with agile development methodology
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, product strategy and influence outcomes in technical decision-making
• Experience working with storage and database technologies.
• Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming