Help us revolutionize the Cloud! AWS is the fastest growing division within Amazon.
Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) is an industry leading web service that makes it easy to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud.
We are looking for a for a seasoned senior software engineering manager to lead our engineering teams in Vancouver, B.C.
More information on Amazon RDS is available at http://aws.amazon.com/rds.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee- led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy providing one-on-one mentoring and coaching to newer or more junior team members. We care about your career growth and strive to assign scope based on what will help you grow as a leader, and help each of your team members develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
• 3+ years of experience managing software engineering teams
• 5+ years' experience in system software development and delivery
• Strong understanding of distributed computing, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, and their best practicesPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with database systems internals, query optimization, and storage systems
• Hands on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
• Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Hands on experience building web platforms and services
• Deep expertise in SQL/NoSQL databases
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming