Software Development Manager, AWS Messaging
Reference ID: 761046
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly available, durable, secure infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses around the world! The AWS Messaging team owns and operates Amazon SNS (Simple Notification Service), Amazon SQS (Simple Queue Service) and Amazon MQ. Our services provide AWS customers with the cloud infrastructure for building highly scalable, asynchronous and fault-tolerant distributed applications. Our services form a core architectural component of the critical systems for amazon.com as well. If you are passionate about the challenges of big scale, building cutting edge technologies, and making developing distributed applications easy and reliable, then the AWS Messaging team is for you.
We're looking for a Software Development Manager with an owner mindset, bias for action, and also the ability to dive deep and deliver results. You will lead a team of world-class engineers, be an operational champion, and delivery features to customers around the globe. You will drive our development process, and be a key influencer in our product roadmap.
At Amazon, we hire hands-on managers at all levels. This leader must be able to dive deep into the details on business, operations and engineering. We need technical, detail-oriented leaders who can build and grow organizations. You'll need to excel at hiring and developing both systems level and application level engineers. You need to be able to grow leaders in your organization and lead a charter that grows as your organization grows. Our services operate at large scale and on critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. You'll also need to be willing to share big ideas and execute to deliver the next big innovations at rapid pace.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field.
• 8+ years of experience in all aspects of software engineering, including coding, architecture, infrastructure, and networking.
• 4+ years of experience in people management.
• Strong technical thinking and demonstrated ability to lead software design and coding in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C#, C, C++, Ruby, or Python.
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Experience taking complex projects from initial concept through final launch.
• Demonstrated ownership of software engineering roadmap and experience with managing the day-to-day activities of a team using agile processes, such as Kanban.
• Exceptional customer relationship skills, including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, and recommend alternative technical and business approaches.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Practiced ability to apply networking design principles and innovate with new Webs Service platform technologies.
• Knowledge of security protocols and network security best practices.
• Experience driving continuous quality improvement initiative.
Posted: January 19, 2019
Closes: March 20, 2019