Are you interested in leading a team to build out a world-class log analytics and search platform? Do you want to revolutionize the way people manage and derive insights from vast volumes of data in the cloud? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on a large number of AWS users? Do you want to be part of a fast-growing AWS service and work in a fast-paced startup style environment?
Amazon Elasticsearch Service makes it easy to deploy, operate, and scale Elasticsearch for log analytics, application monitoring, full-text search, and more. Amazon Elasticsearch Service is a fully managed service that delivers Elasticsearch's easy-to-use APIs and real-time capabilities along with offering predictable performance and seamless scalability for production workloads.
At AWS, you'll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), one of the world's leading internet companies. The Amazon Elasticsearch Service team is part of the rapidly growing AWS Database and Analytics group. We are customer obsessed in a highly collaborative team-oriented environment.
The Amazon Elasticsearch Service team designs, develops and operates software that allows customers to index, search and analyze documents at scale in a secure, responsive, and reliable environment. The team is tackling tough data, search and analytics problems. As we expand at a tremendous rate, we are looking for innovative engineering managers with a passion for data, search, analytics and distributed systems to join the team:
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
• Contribute to the vision, goals, and technical strategy in alignment with customer needs and market opportunities
• Lead the team in building a best-in-class technology platform.
• Oversee an exceptional group of engineers with a strong team-oriented culture.
• Provide technical leadership in driving the design and implementation of extremely large distributed systems as well as areas related to as data storage, query optimization, JVM performance optimization, security, machine learning and more.
• Attract, excite and retain a team of best-in-class engineers.
• Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management and coaching.
• Continually challenge what exists and explore what should be changed to best meet evolving customer needs
• Possess expert knowledge in engineering best practices
• Join a great group of motivated, top-notch, people and work with them to solve challenging problems in a fun, collaborative environment
You are a builder of products as well as a builder of teams. You are a seasoned technical leader capable of driving the development of leading edge search technology with an innovative spirit, love of technology and ability to wear many hats. You have extensive experience managing Internet and middleware technologies in online businesses and are fluent in discussing distributed computing, data management, networking, optimization technologies, and object-oriented programming with senior architects and technical leads. Finally, your high energy and tireless commitment provides your team with the focus needed to deliver an exceptional service to thousands of Amazon Web Services customers. Along the way you'll learn a ton, have fun, and make a positive impact on our business.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 5+ years industry experience delivering scalable, distributed platforms
• 5+ years of progressive management leadership experience directing high visibility initiatives in geo-distributed team environments
• Experience with agile (including successful agile transformations) or similar methodologies for continuous development of product and technology
• A Bachelors degree in computer science or related engineering disciplinePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• 10+ years industry experience delivering scalable, distributed platforms.
• 10+ years of progressive management leadership experience directing high visibility initiatives in geo-distributed team environments.
• Entrepreneurial focus with an inherent sense of urgency and accountability.
• An inspirational technical leader with a high emotional intelligence who sets high and exacting standards and demands the best work of their team
• Experience with high-growth technology companies, and in organizations that know how to compete and win.
• Proven ability to build and maintain a high-quality, high intelligence engineering team.
• Experience delivering solutions at scale based on a variety of AWS services (EC2, S3, ASG, EBS, ELB, etc.)
• Team-oriented, collaborative, and able to implement important decisions. Can synthesize coherent plans and priorities from the inputs of the team and business partners. Fosters atmosphere of innovation, collaboration, and open communication.
• Strategic and thinks at a high level, but also hands-on, execution-oriented, and capable of getting things done quickly.
• Flexible and adaptable in the face of a rapidly changing market environment.
• Ability to translate a long-term vision into a near-term, executable plan. Able to prioritize and triage effectively, deciding which projects to deliver first.
• Data-driven and "quantitative" mentality. Grounded, detail-oriented, always backs up ideas with facts.
• An advanced degree in computer science or engineering discipline.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Software and Programming