Are you passionate about improving the quality and scope of automation at scale? Do you find yourself making your own tools to get things done faster? Would you enjoy working on scalable, reliable platforms that are fundamental to the way database developers build their applications. The AWS Relational Database Services (RDS) Platform team is seeking expert developers interested in creating the next generation of developer-centric tools and services. In this position, you will be part of the core Platform team that works across the entire organization to discover opportunities to improve on the development lifecycle and velocity for building and running database applications.
The AWS Relational Database Service is one of the fastest-growing AWS businesses, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are all reliably handled by our control systems. Providing such simplified management for customers comes with the challenge of building sophisticated and reliable control systems. Our group in AWS addresses these challenges by developing services that reflect the latest advances in high availability, data dissemination and replication, load balancing, autonomous management, and repair.
The systems we build manage huge numbers of databases and vast amounts of storage across multiple datacenters world-wide, and our service is growing rapidly, requiring constant innovations in our systems in order to handle the next order of magnitude in service scale. Our service is made up of components that handle a large variety of workloads, such as high-performance online transaction processing; partitioned, replicated, real-time, in-memory processing; and large-scale, high-throughput batch jobs. We not only work on deep technical problems, but also across a wide array of technologies, ranging from the various database engines we support (MySQL and Oracle currently) to several AWS services (like EBS and EC2) and many open-source components.
We are looking for Software Development Engineers who will lead Amazon RDS and AWS as a whole to deliver highly scalable and distributed systems and help drive the overall technical architecture for RDS. You will also be responsible for defining the development standards, mentoring junior engineers and hiring for the team. You will work with business and other AWS teams and translate the requirements to technical deliverables and guide the team through the actual launch. The successful applicant must possess excellent software development skills, working knowledge of relational databases, ability to learn new skills and concepts rapidly, and is able to work independently and is self-motivated.
Candidates need to have a strong sense of ownership, passion to provide great customer experience and excellent troubleshooting skills even when in high-pressure situations.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science or related fieldPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including frequent communications with customers and executives.
• Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Software and Programming