We're an internally-focused team making deep changes to tooling, infrastructure, processes, and control plane components within the Relational Database Service, one of the fastest growing businesses within AWS. We're looking for seasoned, talented software engineers to help us scale in advance of our next 2x (and the 2x after that, and the one after that...). Our service provides managed, reliable, scalable and highly available relational databases, on demand, and we are currently supporting the largest fleet of relational databases on Earth. We minimize the effort required to maintain SQL databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage, setting up replicas for load-spreading and DR, and high availability / redundancy, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses. For more information about RDS, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds.
You have a passion for software development and are ready to step up from being just a coder - you're comfortable in the open-source and Linux worlds, can proficiently write code in more than a couple of languages and are picking up new ones as needed. You can explain why various design patterns are both awesome and constraining, you've seen code fail (and fixed) in production in spectacular ways - and learned from it. You've come to the understanding that being passionate about an idea is different than taking it personally and believe that debate makes strong ideas stronger.
You've written lots of software, shipped products and contributed to platforms, tools and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them. You love to learn new things and to grow.
Who are you? You're the new Software Development Engineer joining us at RDS. We work hard, have fun and make history - let's go play.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Your written and spoken English are excellent
• Candidates must have a Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field.
• Be able to write Amazon quality code in an object oriented language, preferably in C/C++/C#/Java/Ruby in a Linux environment.
• You understand networking, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, distributed computing and best practices related to samePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Possess an extremely sound understanding of areas in the basic areas of Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases.
• Experience developing micro-services
• Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
• Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive product improvement
• Passion for automation and providing a great customer experience
Software and Programming