Software Development Engineer
Reference ID: 760292
Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is storage for the Internet. Through the use of pioneering techniques in distributed computing, developers can durably store their data on AWS's proven computing infrastructure to achieve virtually limitless storage capacity at minimal cost. Amazon S3 provides simple APIs that can be used to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. While the emerging area of cloud computing has seen tremendous growth over the past few years, we are still in the early stages of realizing its full potential.
This position is for the Cross-Region Replication (CRR) team in Vancouver, Canada. Customers use CRR to easily make copies of their S3 objects in a second AWS region. Using CRR customers have full control over the location of their data; and can choose an appropriate location based on local regulatory requirements, a desire to have the data close to principal customers to reduce latency, or for other reasons. To meet these challenges, the team develops workflow pipelines for asynchronous data processing at scale, managing network capacity and other dependencies. Its Day One on the CRR team, where we have strong customer engagement and a rich feature roadmap.
As a Software Development Engineer on this team, you will have the unique opportunity of not just designing, developing and owning entire backend sub-systems with hard distributed system problems but also designing API's that are used by millions of applications around the world and by doing so defining S3 for customers. The work you do here is going to significantly drive growth not just in S3 but the AWS ecosystem.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 5+ years of work experience or Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 1+ year of work experience
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
• Strong foundation in algorithms, data structures, OO and core Computer Science concepts
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern OO programming language such as Java (prefrred), C# or C++
• Experience with building highly-available and scalable distributed systems
• Understanding of networking protocols
• Understanding of how storage systems work
• Comfortable using Linux environments
• Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
• MS/Phd Degree in Computer Science
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Posted: March 16, 2019
Closes: May 15, 2019