Amazon Photos helps consumers preserve and re-live their memories. The service comes with unlimited photo storage for Prime members and apps are available on iOS, Android, Web, Desktop, Fire Tablet & Fire TV. The service is also integrated into Alexa devices such as Echo Show and Echo Spot. Amazon Photos is the latest digital offering to consumers released on the heels of the Amazon Music and Amazon Video offerings. We have bold goals to scale growth and adoption of the service around the world and delight our customers with a great product.
A day in the life
As a software engineer on Device Photos Services team, you will solve tough software engineering problems at scale. You'll architect and design the ongoing evolution of photos experience on Amazon devices and Amazon mobile apps, work with product and partner teams to discuss requirements and implement solution using the latest AWS technology. You'll also guide and mentor a team of engineers to deliver high quality results and produce exemplary code. The features you deliver will be at "Amazon Scale" and be loved by users worldwide.
About the hiring group
The Device Photos Services team builds backend system that powers photos experience on Alexa devices and Amazon mobile apps. This includes the delightful wallpaper experience on Alexa devices, device personalization experience from Alexa mobile app, and more. These features are some of the most used and beloved features in Amazon Photos. We have an exciting roadmap of new features to deliver over the next few years, including features built on AI and other advanced technologies. Our software is written in Java, and we make extensive use of a wide array of AWS services including ElasticCache, DynamoDB, Lambda and more. The team has high visibility and high impact delivering features.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Architect, design, develop and deploy backend systems that powers photos experience on Alexa devices and Amazon mobile apps.
• Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly scalable REST services using Java and AWS technologies (EC2, DynamoDB)
• Integrate with Alexa Services and Amazon Photos Services to deliver features
• Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews
• Work independently with minimal guidance on feature development
• Launch new features in the US and International markets working closely with other Alexa teams
• Work with stakeholders to identify long term opportunities, come up with technical strategies and create implementation plans for the team
• Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
• Improve Operational Excellence including Latency and Scalability
• Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
• Help define and implement standards and promote best practices
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related fieldPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• 5 years of software development experience designing and developing web services using Java or similar technology
• Extensive knowledge of RESTful Service development techniques and best practices
• Experience developing and scaling web services in a high growth environment
• Experience leading and mentoring junior engineers
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Software and Programming