Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a best-in-class Software Development Engineer for the Internet Automation team in Vancouver, British Columbia to work with a team based out of Seattle, Washington. This team works at the Internet edge of the AWS global network, connecting Amazon services to the Internet via external peering and transit connectivity. We are looking to hire motivated, best-in-class Software and Systems Engineers for our Seattle engineering team.
In this role, you'll develop software that's removing the need for human intervention by performing millions of daily operations across a multitude of regions across the globe. You'll join a team that's instrumental in driving the stability and sustainability of our next-generation networks and discovering innovative ways to automate and scale services as we continue to expand.
The Networking & Infrastructure teams at AWS are building software to simplify the internet and control traffic, automate network remediation and deployment, improve performance for customers, answer queries about the safety of network actions and automatically detect anomalies using scientific intelligence, and roll out new software to the fleet of network devices with minimum human interaction.
You'll join a group that owns a product and iterates fast to continuously improve. A group that ships positivity within the team to create a happy and respectful work environment, and values self investment as a core part of their success.
Key job responsibilities
* Develop best in class software systems for automating Amazon's network
* Provide technical direction to the team and identify areas of focus
* Create and review software design documentation and mentor junior engineers
* Collaborate with the Network Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products
* Operate the software you're putting into production
* Create and review documentation and process regarding recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc
* Collaborate with the Network Engineering and Operations teams to automate and invent new ways of operating Amazon's Next-Generation Network
A day in the life
• Our internal customers are largely within the Border teams of AWS Networking
• Our external customers are Internet Providers that we have interactions with
• We endeavor to make our interactions with Providers safe, stable, and scalable
About the team
Our mission is to innovate, build, and operate Internet-specific services that deliver the most secure, highest performing, and scalable Internet connectivity possible for our customers, while ensuring our customers are never constrained.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
Knowledge of best practices for the full software development life cycle; including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Track record of designing and building complex software systems and successfully delivering them to customers
Exposure to large-scale distributed storage and database systems (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, Graph Databases)
Experience communicating with peers, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements & describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
Experience mentoring junior engineers to improve their skills, efficiency and productivity, and influencing systems engineering practices within the team
Experience architecting/deploying/operating solutions built on AWS and experience with services such as RDS, EC2, Dynamo DB, CloudWatch.
Interest in the general Internet peering/transit ecosystem or exposure to a networking environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Law Enforcement and Security Quality Assurance