Are you excited by the prospect of solving some of the hardest and most valued technical challenges of cloud computing? Do you want to apply your deep analytical and engineering skills to the space of highly-available replicated databases? Come join us in Amazon RDS and help us innovate by building for multiple nines of uptime in AWS cloud!
The AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) is one of the largest cloud database businesses, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are handled in an automated fashion by our control systems. Providing such simplified management for customers comes with the challenge of building sophisticated and reliable control systems. The systems we build manage huge numbers of databases and vast amounts of storage across multiple datacenters world-wide, and our service is growing rapidly, requiring constant innovations in our systems in order to handle the next order of magnitude in service scale.
RDS provides customers with databases that have multiple-nines of durability and availability. Achieving this level of reliability requires building control and monitoring systems that automatically detect and handle many types of failures within seconds, and data replication options that accommodate various geographical distribution and disaster recovery objectives. The challenge is further heightened by needing to handle huge numbers of databases, multiple database engines and a wide variety of customer workloads.
To achieve our goals in this area, we are looking for a Software Engineer who loves to dive in and solve fundamental Computer Science and Systems problems around performance, timing, state machine logic and distributed systems algorithms. If you'd like to be a part of creating always-on databases in the AWS cloud, this is the job for you!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- You are experienced with one of Java, C/C++, .NET, shell scripting or other
- You have used MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL or another major SQL database
- You are a generalist familiar with more than one SDLC process, language, framework, platform and environment and are capable of diving into the deepest parts of technologies when called for
- You understand distributed computing and best practices related to same
- You have excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- You are familiar and comfortable with rapidly-evolving Agile development environments
- You have an understanding of and experience with common bug / task tracking, requirements tracking, traceability and test automation tools
- You have an ability to rapidly absorb and comprehend software and systems
- You have a good understanding of SQL and distributed systems
- A Master's degree in computing science or related discipline
- Hands-on experience with AWS APIs and services
- Developing in extremely busy, highly scalable, highly available mission-critical distributed environments
- Deep experience with SQL / NoSQL databases
- Extensive software / database architecture knowledge
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming