Ever shopped on Amazon's retail sites? My guess is, Yes! Wonder how Amazon innovates and decides how to invest in so many products and services? If the answer is yes, then this team is your answer. Even after 25 years of innovation, it's still Day 1 here in Amazon.
Our team equips Amazon with capability to validate experiments and expand our retail footprint. We scientifically assess customer actions using AI, Machine Learning and Economics. This position will require you to collaborate with software engineers, research scientists, program managers, product managers, marketing managers, business owners, business analysts and designers across Amazon - to build an intuitive experience for our scientific analytics.
With millions of users producing billions of transactions per day, we want you to experience big data at a whole new level. If you would like to own a major product in Amazon, have an entrepreneurial mindset, like to think big and are obsessed with your customers, then you've found the right job for you. Let's have some fun, do some experiments and build things for future.
Key job responsibilities
The Software Engineer in our team will need to design and deliver complex software systems, that empowers decision making at Amazon. They will need to work both - Independently, and with their team; depending on the scale of problem. They will need to employ Amazon's Leadership Principles in their work, and have fun while doing it. They will need to be open to learning and experimenting, as we innovate for our customers.
In addition to new developments, the engineer will also need to support our existing critical systems, as they play a key role in making decisions for billions of dollars. They will need to invest their time and effort in identifying operational bottlenecks and implement solutions, which will help us scale our systems, capability and improve development experience. They will also play a key role in mentoring and expanding team and our product, be involved in hiring at Amazon (be on the other side of the table).
A day in the life
A day in a life of SDE in our team includes (but is not limited to) working on architecture designs, brainstorming with other engineers and leaders, planning their day-week-month and coding. We have weekly demos, happy hours; bi-weekly retros, priority alignment; and quarterly team events.
About the team
We started a new team in 2020 with a small number of 6 people, to build user experience for a highly technical concept. Over the last 2 years, our team grew to 10 people, we launched 3 products/features, expanded our mandate and we're just getting started.
Given our team was formed during Covid times, we did things unique - met new hires in person to hand deliver them their laptops (local Vancouver hires only), had happy hour every friday for last 2 years and focussed on culture over lines of code (we don't ignore it, we just prioritize the former).BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of educationPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective and productive software engineers.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming