Customer Behavior Analytics' Downstream Impact (DSI) team owns Causal Machine Learning products aimed at estimating long-term value and informing financial planning. In this role, you will build causal machine learning systems processing several PETA bytes of data to influence financial investment forecasting of how hundreds of billions of dollars will be spent across the Amazon Business.
Key job responsibilities
As a Software Development Engineer in DSI, you will:
• Work in a cross-functional team of product managers, Software and Data Engineers, and Scientists to build causal machine learning systems.
• Build data processing systems on AWS technologies (e.g., S3, EC2, EMR) and Apache Spark to process petabytes of data.
• Apply MLOps principles to facilitate rapid scientific innovation and experimentation.
• Develop and scale machine learning applications (e.g., Deep Learning) in Python on massive datasets
• Learn about the science of causal inference and lead the implementation of new concepts in production.
• Engage with customers and partner teams to improve product scope and usability.
A day in the life
• A day in the life of SDE in our team includes (but is not limited to) working on architecture designs, brainstorming with other engineers and working with leaders, planning day-week-month, and writing code.
• We prioritize work-life balance and our long-term design commitments have led us to have minimal operational maintenance required, with 90%+ oncall work expected during our business hours.
• We have biweekly demos, priority alignment, and monthly team events. We safely planned team activities like multiple local hikes, in-person happy hours, and board games, even in 2021!
About the team
We are a small team of 7 members working together to build causal machine learning systems processing several PETA bytes of data at the Amazon scale. With our recent product launches and recognition from leadership, we are doubling the team size with the expanded mandate in 2022, and we're just getting started!BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experiencePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Here are some things that we want to see, though none is independently a requirement:
• Experience building machine learning applications
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Experience with large data sets (>1TB); Spark and MapReduce a strong plus.
• Experience with MLOps infrastructure including designing and building systems for model training pipelines and high performance, low latency inference services.
• Experience working with high volume, low-latency (>100K requests per second, <100ms latency) web services a strong plus.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming