We are the AWS Relational Database Services (RDS) Commerce team, and we are looking for expert software developers interested in working across the entire organization to improve the business models for building and running database applications. RDS is a key part of the business for many Companies around the whole world, and we earn the trust of our Customers every day by billing the exact charges and by offering the most flexible business models in the market.
On top of that, we are also responsible for optimizing some of the largest fleets of servers you will ever see, ensuring that RDS Customers have the freedom to run their workloads at any time and in any place.
We are looking for Software Development Engineers who will lead Amazon RDS as a whole to deliver highly scalable and distributed systems and help drive the overall technical architecture for the domains we own. You will also be responsible for defining the development standards, mentoring junior engineers and hiring for the team. You will work with business and other AWS teams and translate the requirements to technical deliverables and guide the team through the actual launch.
Do you have a strong sense of ownership, passion to provide great customer experience and excellent troubleshooting skills even when in high-pressure situations? Then you are one of us!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including frequent communications with customers and executives.
• Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills.
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming