Are you a Software Engineer with a passion for building great experiences? Are you looking for an opportunity to make a big impact in a company with a global impact and a startup culture?
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking Amazon device designed to respond to your voice commands and queries. We're building solutions and applications behind Alexa products and services to directly bring joy to people's day to day lives. We're working hard, having fun, and making history. Come join our team!
The Alexa smart home security team is focused on bringing Alexa customers peace of mind, safety, and security about their households and loved ones. We build Alexa features such as Alexa Guard and integration with smart devices, such as contact/motion sensors, cameras, security systems, etc.
About Alexa Guard:
Alexa can help keep your home safe when you're away with Alexa Guard-just say, "Alexa, I'm leaving" to activate Guard. When you enable Guard, Alexa can send you Smart Alerts about the sound of glass-breaking, smoke detectors, or carbon monoxide alarms detected in your home. Alexa can also intuitively turn lights on and off to help deter intruders using Away Lighting and can integrate with alarm systems from Ring and ADT to keep your home safe.
As a key member of the Alexa home security team you will be an innovator, playing a direct role in shaping and building products that customers love on top of Amazon's technology. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged. At Amazon, every engineer has the opportunity to positively impact millions of customers and you will be called on to identify and realize these opportunities. And, you will have the satisfaction of working on a product your friends and family can relate to, and want to use every day. This is a rare opportunity to have a giant impact on the way people live.
• Leading development and maintenance of key system features.
• Writing clean, maintainable code and performing peer code-reviews.
• Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
• Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
• Establish architectural principles, select design patterns and then mentor team members
• Work closely with product and design teams to customize the Alexa experience on devicesBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systemsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• BS in Computer Science, or equivalent background in data structures, algorithms, object-oriented design and systems architecture.
• 5+ years professional experience building and operating scalable distributed systems across the full software lifecycle including design, implementation, testing, operations, and maintenance.
• Programming experience using one or more modern programming languages such as Java, C# or C++.
• Hands-on experience across front-end user interfaces, business logic, and data tiers.
Experience designing internet-scale public APIs.
• Experience building solutions for home networks, IoT device and cloud systems, or home/industrial control systems.
• Experience defining and championing best practices across a software team.
• Comfortable presenting to senior management, business stakeholders, and external partners.
• Experience building systems or products that leverage machine learning.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
• Self-motivated with the ability to design and write high-performance, reliable, and maintainable code
• Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
• Strong desire to improve our customer's communication experience
• Ability to take a project from requirements gathering and design to actual product launch
• Most of all: enthusiasm, creativity, and inventiveness! You will be asked to find new ways to solve challenging problems every day
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
Software and Programming