Interested in Amazon Echo? Love graphics? Want to create products that will reach more than 100 million customers? Come join a close-knit team that's evolving the definition of Alexa, Amazon's virtual assistant.
Our team creates the core graphics software that runs on Alexa-enabled devices with screens. Amazon Alexa started with the vision of delivering the Star Trek computer to our customers. Today, customers can already ask Alexa to control their smart homes, TVs, play music, and get information, news, weather, and more using just their voice. We are now augmenting Alexa's voice-forward interaction model with a range of experiences such as rich animated visuals, video, and immersive audio. We're creating the future of multi-modal interaction - what you see on devices today is just the beginning - it's still Day 1.
We've introduced Alexa Presentation Language (APL) which includes a portable rendering engine, tools, content, and responsive templates that developers and device makers can use to author and render multi-modal experiences. Our software powers those experiences on our Echo family of devices, Fire Tablets, Amazon Fire TV, and partner devices like the Facebook Portal. Our Alexa Skills Kit developer tools and Alexa Presentation Language APIs allow anyone to write applications for our devices. We're committed to open source software, and are working to build a community around both our software stack and tools.
You've found the right team if you are a passionate software engineer with experience building innovative applications that customers love. You will join a growing organization in Canada (Vancouver and Toronto) and have an enormous opportunity to make an impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know.
We're working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us!
• Building software that runs with high quality on millions of Echo family devices, and Alexa-enabled Devices.
• Ownership of the definition of the Alexa Presentation Language.
• Understanding the business impact of your systems and showing good judgment when making technical trade-offs.
• Driving engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards.
• When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path, building consensus.
• You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and engineering practices.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
• 3+ years of experience building production software systems.
• Experience with a variety of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++, Objective C, Python.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience defining, developing and maintaining well defined APIs.
• Advanced C++ knowledge.
• Domain knowledge: UI creation and rendering across multiple platforms.
• Graduate degree.
• Experience with OO design/development.
• Experience in technical communication across technical and non-technical teams.
Software and Programming