Software Developer II - eCommerce
Reference ID: 830041
Can you code with your eyes closed? Do new and emerging programming technologies excite you? Are you passionate about creating incredible digital experiences? If yes, we're looking for someone like you to join our team as a Software Developer.
At Best Buy Canada, we believe empowered people and teams make smarter, faster, and more creative decisions. Our eCommerce department is a truly Agile environment, where the distance between any one person and senior leadership is microscopic. Here, you'll work on something big, small, or super cool and before you can blink 100,000 people will see it. You'll create fast, learn fast, and develop fast. Oh, and sometimes you'll fail fast too. That's ok. (Honestly.) It's all part of the process.
As a Software Developer on our eCommerce team you'll be joining a talented community of other clever and creative developers. You'll make an immediate impact on the development of innovative features for a variety of our platforms, including mobile, desktop, iPhone, and Android. In no time at all, your work and the ideas you bring to life will be used by millions and millions of customers on BestBuy.ca.
What you'll be doing:
• Develop, code, debug, and actively participate in the full lifecycle development of exciting new capabilities
• Promote good software development practices and perform regular code reviews with teammates
• Conduct critical analysis on code, requirements, system risk, security, and software reliability
• Perform continual testing, proofing, and tuning to ensure quality, reliability, and usability
• Support, maintain, and document new capabilities developed by the team
• Collaborate within your own team as well as with other teams in the department to solve problems and achieve company goals
• Be a strong communicator who can articulate the work of your team to peers, product owners, and other teams
• Always put the user's needs and wants first in your development, testing, and optimization efforts
What you'll need to succeed:
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent professional experience
• 3+ years of software development experience using object-oriented design and Service-Oriented Architecture
• Your technical expertise includes a selection of the following: Java, Spring Boot, PL/SQL, Oracle database 10g/11g, Microservices, Test & Build frameworks (JUnit, Ant/Maven, etc.)
• Knowledge of data structures, algorithms and distributed systems
• You\'ve designed and developed applications for a clustered or distributed environment
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Highly collaborative mindset that allows you to build trust and accountability
• Natural curiosity to explore and entertain fresh ideas and feedback
• Ability to embrace change with positivity and enthusiasm
• You're familiar with Agile/Scrum methodologies
What's waiting for you at head office:
Our goal is work-life harmony for every employee. Don't feel like driving to work each day? Hop on our free shuttle service that runs between our head office and the SkyTrain at Metrotown. Can't find the time to work out as much as you'd like? Hit the treadmill, stationary bike, or weight room in our 24-hour on-site gym staffed by professional trainers. No time to pack a lunch or make breakfast? Our fully catered (and partially subsidized!) cafeteria serves everything from eggs benny and French toast to fresh-made sandwiches, stir fry, pasta, entrées, and more.
We also believe an amazing work-life harmony includes continual learning and growth... on company time. That's why everyone in our eCommerce and IT departments has their own professional career coach, career development plan, and access to a series of in-house development seminars.
There's more, too:
• Competitive benefits, including a variety of options for extended health, dental, and life insurance
• Registered Pension Plan where the company matches your contributions, dollar for dollar
• Employee stock purchase plan, with the company matching up to 5% of your eligible contributions
• Significant employee discounts both in-store and online
• Coffee bar that serves Starbucks and Seattle's Best Coffee
• Easy access to riverside trails and parks when you need to unplug and take a break
• Free parking in our lot and loads of free street parking in the area
• On-site dry cleaning drop off and pick up service
• Opportunity to participate in regular hackathons and other similar events
If this sounds like a perfect fit, we want to hear from you! Send us your resume and cover letter to apply. Best Buy Canada is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on gender, race, or sexual orientation.
Posted: March 22, 2019
Closes: May 21, 2019