We build the Amazon Aurora MySQL Control Plane that:
- Reliably manages a large fleet of databases for our customers freeing them from traditional database operations
- Guarantees best-in-class availability and failover capabilities to sustain the world's most demanding workloads
- Orchestrates and automates the complete lifecycle of a database cluster from creation to operation to scale-out and fail-over
- Has the unique opportunity to integrate closely with our engine and storage layers to build an end-to-end solution that is easy-to-use and at the same time full-fills the demanding requirements of an enterprise-grade solution
Amazon Aurora is a cloud-native relational database which combines the scalability and performance of the best NoSQL databases paired with full compatibility to the most popular relational open source databases - MySQL and PostgreSQL. Amazon Aurora can store petabytes of customer data and can handle peaks of millions of queries per second.
You read until here, great, our team would like you to help us build the future of this service together. As an engineering team lead, you will collaborate with talented engineers to tackle interesting engineering problems in distributed systems at a large scale. You will have the opportunity to influence design and delivery of service features end to end. We enjoy a start-up mentality of tackling things head-on, be resourceful, fun and sometimes scrappy and work together to deliver results.
Key job responsibilities
You will coach and mentor diverse groups of talented engineers and collaborate across teams and with senior leadership. You will help nurture and grow an awesome engineering team that holds itself accountable to high standards, is focused on delivering results and thrives working on aspiring and novel projects. Finally, we hope you will enjoy seeing how the things you build will delight our customers and help them become successful, as much as we do.
You don't need you to be an expert in databases or distributed systems as you will have a chance to learn with your team. We are attracted to engineers who love what they do and are passionate about their work. We appreciate curiosity and craftsmanship over knowledge in certain frameworks. Our technologies include:
- Core Java 8
- RESTful microservices powered by internal RPC framework
- A lot of AWS stack - EC2, EBS, VPC, Route53, DynamoDB, cdk and Infrastructure as code etc. We eat our own dogfood all the time! Where can you learn AWS technologies better than at AWS itself?
- Ruby/Python for infrastructure components and services
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 4+ years of professional experience in software development OR Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
- 1+ years professional experience in managing great performing software engineering teams
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Master's degree in computer science or related field
- 5+ years experience leading multiple interdisciplinary teams, including technical leads, software engineers, devops engineers, database engineers and project managers.
- 10+ years of professional experience in software development
- A deep understanding of software engineering practices, object oriented analysis & design, design patterns, data structures and algorithms
- Experience building distributed databases, storage systems or cloud services
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming