Interested in Alexa? Help us build the future of the engine behind it! We are building foundational services and APIs that power brand new experiences for Alexa customers. If want to lead a team that innovates on customer facing cutting-edge technologies, this is the team for you. We're working hard, having fun, making history; come join us!
A day in the life
As a Software Development Manager, you will lead an organization of experienced Engineers that are incredibly technical, agile, data driven, and highly collaborative. You will lead design, development, test, and deployment of a range of products related to skill definition, management and analytics. You will own a new platform, services and features which will enable developers to create better skills more efficiently. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You will be helping to hire and build your team and systems.
• Responsible for the over-all systems development life cycle
• Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments; Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
• Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
• Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, know how to deliver, are deeply technical, highly innovative and long for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems, we want to talk to you.
About the hiring group
This role will manage a team of engineers spanning SDE, FEE and QAE disciplines to drive cutting edge capabilities for Alexa Skills Kit. A candidate will be expected to build consensus with key partner teams and set a multi-year vision for the space.
The Amazon Device and Services organization is hiring a Software Development Manager to lead a team in Alexa Skills Kit, that builds foundational services and APIs for brand new experiences in Alexa. This is an opportunity to influence one of the key customer experiences across all of Amazon Alexa. The role will require you to build and own software on a variety of different technology stacks from backend web services to web applications to IoT platforms, and work closely with partners that integrate with the data and components the team owns.
As a Software Development Manager you enjoy taking on hard, ambiguous problems and breaking them down to their simple parts. You are creative, driven, and highly productive. You are a great team player who will naturally elevate the performance of the people around you. You have a track record of quickly ramping up on complex technical systems, demonstrating strong judgment, and identifying big picture opportunities for our customers. You have the ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and deliver results.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• BS/MS in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
• 8+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years as a people manager
• Experience building scalable systems/applications from conception through successful delivery to customers
• Experience with professional software engineering best practices such as Agile project management, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operationsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Knowledge of a broad set of disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience building distributed systems
• Experience with iOS and Android mobile app development
• Experience with wireless networking technologies
• Excellent verbal & written communication skills
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual OrientationAmazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Software and Programming